Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Is there a trick or....? >

Is there a trick or....?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Is there a trick or....?

Old 02-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

welcome desertwolf, I've been shooting an Investarms Hawken .54 for more than 25 years and have no complaints, good rifle. Mine likes TC maxiball and 90 grains goex BP, or a .530 RB .015 patch 80 grains goex BP. I hunted New Mexico couple years ago and loved it.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Spike

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

Personally, I doubt I will get an inline. I mean, there is never any telling, I may one day. But if its modern, I am normally not attracted to it. The only guns I have are either actual models or replicas from World War II or prior. I'm just old fashioned...plus, as a history buff, I want to be able to do what pioneers and trappers and cowboys did before me. If they could do it, why can't I with practice?

And I DID forget to mention, my Hawken is a percussion. I have not shot it yet, but I hope it will be a good experience!I already love the weight and balance of that gun...the feel of it alone just seems to speak of reliability.

I am glad that everyone who has chimed in has nothing but good things to say about the Investarms Hawken...I'm very excited now!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to welcome you to the forum as well. I know nothing of traditionals either, but there's a lot of really smart people here and I'm sure they'll take care of you.
Where abouts in WY did you grow up? I live in MN now but grew up in the Casper/Douglas area.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I would like to welcome you to the forum as well. I know nothing of traditionals either, but there's a lot of really smart people here and I'm sure they'll take care of you.
Where abouts in WY did you grow up? I live in MN now but grew up in the Casper/Douglas area.

Kirby, I grew up in Cheyenne. Seems like we meet a lot of Wyomingites on the outside, considering how few of us there are.

I'm gonna be getting some .54 caliber round balls and patch on Wednesday, and see if I can't get some shooting in before the weekend. (Alas...Drill at the Air Guard will keep me from shooting this weekend.)
Old 02-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

You bought a fine gun. Take care of it, and it will last you a lifetime.

I've had a few of them. As was mentioned. A .530 ball and .015 patch will probably work good. If you can buy real black powder in your area like Goex, Swiss etc. it will work great. Nice stinky sulfur smell to bring you back in time. It will fire at a lower temperature than the sub powders, and be more consistent. If you can't get it. Pyrodex is the next best choice.

Have fun with your new gun.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

As others have stated, your Investarms Hawken is a good rifle. Every rifle will have it's favorite load combo. The only way to find that favorite load is get out there and experiment. You may for example start with a load of 55gr. by volume with a 530 round ball patched with .018 pillow ticking lubed with 50/50 mix of olive oil / water. Shoot off a bench starting at 25 yards. Fire a 3 shot string and see how it groups. Walk out and retrieve your spent patches and examine them. They should have remained intact and look good enough to use again. If they are burned through it means they are not doing their job. and accuracy will not be good. If they are burned through you may need to go to a thicker patch or a .535 ball.

Provided the patch looks good , up the powder charge by 5grs and shoot 3 more shots from the bench. Look at your group and you could see the size of the group shrink. Don't worry about where on the target you are hitting for now. Keep increasing the charge by 5grs. until you are shooting a tight group then adjust your sights to the point of impact. Then move your target out to 50 yards and continue the same process. Once you find the load combo that your rifle likes you will enjoy your rifle.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Spike

Mr. Flintlock,

Thanks for the advice! So I looked around, and all I can find in town is Pyrodex Select for a great price, along with some .535 RB. I'm going to try this first and order the other stuff (like .530 rb).

I found a good starter kit at possibleshop.com It comes with a powder horn, measure, ball starter, dry patches, lubed patches, possible bag....and a bunch of other stuff including RB. I may have to try that!

Has anyone ever tried the possibleshop.com starter kit?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think you should have started with the .530 balls with a .015-.018 patch. You may have to use a .010 patch with the .535, and those are kind of thin. I always got burned holes in .010 patches with hunting loads unless I used a wad. Just one more extra step and expense.

Harder to find real BP. Most of us buy it online. If you really want to do like they did in the old days............you'll use BP. As a perk for doing it right. BP works better in sidelocks.