Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
got another 56 smoothbore thompson center >

got another 56 smoothbore thompson center

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

got another 56 smoothbore thompson center

Old 02-04-2012, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default got another 56 smoothbore thompson center

stopped in a gun store yesterday and they had 2 white mountians a new englander and a Renagade 56sb i allready got one 56 and i love it i just got a can of .550balls too from a friend.... i talked the owner down to 150 bucks with a new nipple.....160 w/tax. its in v-good shape bores 100% stocks got a couple bumps and a small chip at the buttplate.....blueing good except some frecking around the nipple...I couldn't pass up this one....its got the good partdrige sights i was told these guns were made to hunt massachusettes because of the laws at the time.....does anyone know if this is true? thanks ed
Old 02-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

What kind of accuracy can you get out of these smooth bores? can you shoot shotgun loads for turkey hunting and such? just wondering, I see a lot of these go fairly cheap on the auction sites.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I personally would have went after the White Mountain Carbine myself. How much were they asking for that?

Although that is a good find on the SB. I have two 12 gauges I use for birds. But the .62 caliber SB I had shot well. Out to 35-40 steps, it would group a .600 ball real well. And the penetration of that big 324 grain ball was excellent. But I sold that barrel to a forum member. I really had no need for with with the 12 gauge New Englander and the Knight TK2000.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

the new englander was the most at 199...they were asking 169 for the sb56 the wm's were around 180 but they looked good, nice shape i was surprised they all looked good. i only looked at the bore of the 56 with a light...if i were to guess i'm thinking I could get the white mountians in the range of 160-170
Old 02-04-2012, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

caplock, in a mountian man shoot they had a bell at 89 yards it was the size of a 8 inch(fat) fire extinghuisher cut 3/4 down...i hit it both days. i shoot the 56 smoothbore as good as any of my other tc's...useing a round ball.....550 balls .015 patch....i don't know why...but its a great shooter...the balls are very tight...I've never shot it like a shotgun
Old 02-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

at the shoot i seen a guy with a 54 smoothbore from thompson center it was a renagade. it the only one i've ever seen
Old 02-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stripercrazy
I was told these guns were made to hunt massachusettes because of the laws at the time.....does anyone know if this is true? thanks ed
That's true Ed. T/C made the smoothbore because Mass. would not allow anything with a rifled barrel for deer at that time...BPS
Old 02-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Banned

wow just when I thought i heard of a good number of stupid rules, another one pops up LOL.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:04 AM
Typical Buck

bps, thanks i'm a mile from seekonk mass, my house was in mass a couple hundred years ago....before roger williams fleed the state of mass