Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Flintlock pistol for deer hunting...Opinions/Feedback >

Flintlock pistol for deer hunting...Opinions/Feedback

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Flintlock pistol for deer hunting...Opinions/Feedback

Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Flintlock pistol for deer hunting...Opinions/Feedback

Hello again my frontstuffin' friends! I'm on the askin' side of the fence this time and would appreciate your comments, opinions, feedback, or personal experiences. My birthday came and went recentley like so many before it and the Mrs. kept buggin' me with the usual, "What do you want?" or "What do you need?". I kept saying that I don't need anything that I have too much to keep track of as it is, and then it dawned on me that Penna. now allows muzzleloading handguns of .50 or larger to be used in our early or late muzzleloading seasons. I have always thought it would be kinda neat to take a deer with a ML pistol, so I'm thinking that I'll tell her I remembered what it was I wanted and see see how it goes (I know she won't have an issue with it). Anyway...I'm NOT gonna spend a fat pile of money on a custom ML pistol because it's probably gonna end up being a back-up gun in case I knock one down and need to dispatch it or if I get a really close shot (25 yds. or less) as I know full well that a ML pistol does not have the same knockdown that a ML rifle does for a given load/range. That said, I have decided that I would like it to be a flintlock pistol as I want to be able to use it in both our early (percussion or flint season) or our late (flintlock only) season. I've been snooping around on the net and I kind like the idea of Pedersoli's Bounty hunter or possibly a Traditions Trapper. I know that Pedersoli is superior quality and the price for the Bounty hunter is about at the top end of what I want to spend. I like the idea of the longer barrel on the Bounty as it would provide more velocity and hopefully better accuracy, but I think the Trapper is an option as well as it would not be as cumbersome (lengthwise), provided it was reasonably accurate and had sufficient energy to take a deer at 25-30 yds. If there's anyone with any experience with either of these or something similar, I would like to hear what you have to say. Thanks...BPS
Old 01-18-2012, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

I have never taken a deer with a muzzleloading pistol but one of my hunting buddies has so I know that it can be done. If you are going to do this I would recommend going to a 54 caliber over the fifty if the pistol you choose is offered in 54 because of the additional power it offers. And think bow hunting ranges and you should do well.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have taken a few deer with a muzzle loading pistol, the first thing I found out about using a muzzle loading pistol on deer is that a 54 is much better for leaving a blood trail and bringing them down in a reasonable distance. I hunted the same way I always do I bow hunted long before I ever gun hunted, The two guns I have used were a Ruger with a conical type bullet and 35 grains of 4f and a 54 single shot I built myself with 90 grains of Pyrodex P and a .535 PRB. The home built had a 1 in 38 twist and was accurate to a 100yd distance off a rest. You might take a look a the Lyman or maybe the Lyman kit while you are still looking. The Pedersoli a nice piece also.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:21 AM
Dominant Buck

I never have used a muzzle loading horse pistol for anything but shooting cans. I agree, go with as large a caliber as you can find. The 54 would be my choice. Also look at the one that people are provides the max in powder charges. Still, like mentioned, limit your ranges and it should work fine.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I took a look at the Bounty on Pedersoli's site Blackpowdersmoke. http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sche...ock-model.html

It's a neat looking gun for sure. Pricey though. Cherry's lists them at $415. http://www.cherrys.com/ped_pist.htm

With a 16" barrel you would be getting darn near rifle velocity. So I see no problem with take down power.

I see they are offered in either .45 or .50 caliber, and the rate of twist in both calibers is 1:18". Now that's intriguing. It got me to wondering how that .45 caliber barrel would do with .40 caliber 200 grain XTPs in 45/40 sabots.

DANGYA! I didn't have a hankering for a ML pistol before you started this thread.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

If my county allowed handgun hunting I would be all over this.

Good luck and keep us posted on how the gun you choose works out for you.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info so far fellas. I agree on some things. No matter what I end up with, I would limit my shot to probably a 30yd. max distance and that would have to be from a rest. More than likely I would be using it while treestand hunting or from a ground blind and carry it on drives where it's tough to get through with a rifle. For the most part, it would just be a "backup" gun. If I were to end up with a shorter barreled gun like the Trapper, I would definetly go with the .54. I do like the Bounty's longer barrel and increased velocity as well as the longer sight plane. I dont believe the Bounty would be any more cumbersome than my scoped Contender super 14 in 7-30 Waters. I read recently (somewhere??) that a good ML pistol should have a fast rate of twist even for using PRB, and the Bounty would allow some sabot/conical experimentation as well with it's 1:18 twist. I also believe the Trapper would be a bear to shoot with conicals in .54!! So keep the comments and opinions coming, I'm still fishin'! By the way...Semisane, I'm glad you got BIT BY THE BUG!!! Thanks again fellas....BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 01-18-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds awesome, have never really thought about hunting with a muzzy pistol before. I would think that at close range with the proper shot placement and bullet selection that it would work just fine. Keep us informed!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like Fun! now if I could look like this it would make it even more Fun!
(BP)
Attached Thumbnails Flintlock pistol for deer hunting...Opinions/Feedback-clint-eastwood-outlaw-josey-wales.jpg  
Old 01-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Lyman makes a nice 54 cal I have one in percussion but they also make a flint in 50 and 54. I believe mine is a 8 inch barrel I us 50 gr of powder and a PBR good accuracy to 25 yds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.