Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Open sights or Scope? >

Open sights or Scope?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: Open sights or Scope?
I shoot mainly with open sights.
21.43%
I shoot with a scope.
62.50%
I have to use open sights but would rather use a scope.
14.29%
I have to use open sights but would anyway.
1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Open sights or Scope?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Underclocked
No, MD, I guess you don't need a scope. Just a lead sled and twenty-some year old eyes. Bite me!
Nuh uh! I can shoot just as good with the caldwell tack driver bag rest
Old 01-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Underclocked
No, MD, I guess you don't need a scope. Just a lead sled and twenty-some year old eyes. Bite me!
Yea Bite Us
Even better post a vid of a similar group like that and I'll buy a Optima.
Im jealous, I have yet to get a 5 shot group with a scope at a 100, I always get 1 just a inch or less away.
(BP)
Old 01-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Banned

Hey i had one that was outside of the group! And i know what you mean, i had an awesome 4 shot group with my original V1 accura and on shot 5, ploop! Threw out a few inches to the right. That too was with open sights, actually the same sights that are on the optima now.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Hey i had one that was outside of the group! And i know what you mean, i had an awesome 4 shot group with my original V1 accura and on shot 5, ploop! Threw out a few inches to the right. That too was with open sights, actually the same sights that are on the optima now.
Good shooting MD, I better practice more.
(BP)
Old 01-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Im kinda surprised that more would'nt use a scope if they were allowed. I mean open sights are ok for some shots but would'nt one want to be as percise as possible when shooting at game.
I'd be lost now if I could'nt use a scope, the use of a scope has upped my game harvest and made me a better hunter.

Well..it depends on the season. Our early season is antlerless only and scoped ML's are allowed, but it's basically a glorified doe season. I personally don't get much out of whomping a doe with a scoped rifle so I don't use a scoped ML in our early season unless I'm hunting where I can expect a long shot (and by long I mean 80+ yds). If the weather is fair I use a flintlock, if somewhat inclement, a sidelock percussion. Only on a rare occasion do I break out one of the scoped ML's. As far as making me a better hunter, that depends on what your definition of a "hunter" is. I could probably eat more venison if I took the easier route, but I don't believe I would feel like I am a better hunter. I enjoy what I take a lot more when I work harder to get it. Our late season is flintlock only with no scopes/peeps permitted. You do it the way they did 300 yrs. ago or you don't do it!!....BPS
Old 01-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to shoot open sights alot and was pretty good...but got out of practice and not so good anymore. I can drive tacks with a scope all the time, so that is the way I usually go.

MD great group. I third the bite us. LOL

(that really is impressive for ANY gun to shoot open sights like that)
Old 01-21-2012, 05:12 AM
Spike

I perfer a scope and use one when I hunt with my son in Iowa. When at home only open sights allowed. This makes it tough with my eyes and the distances in open terrain. (CA)
Old 01-21-2012, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bobm394
I perfer a scope and use one when I hunt with my son in Iowa. When at home only open sights allowed. This makes it tough with my eyes and the distances in open terrain. (CA)
So you live in cali? if so where.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

I usually use a scope. However my last buck and my last few hunting trips have been with open sights. The potential shots from my blind are short. I have been using my BK92 and as a plunger gun, it is much easier to clean and prime without a scope. My Disc Elite remains scoped; especially since it does not have open sights!

I think the biggest advantage for a scope is that it is faster than open sights. You can aquire the target more quickly and you don't have to take as much time to "think" about proper aiming technique.

Now for a little bit of controversy. Under proper conditions, and with proper technique, a peep sight system can be just as accurate as a scope. Now before everyone screams, proper conditions almost always mean at the range with a target big enough to see the outline outside of what the front post covers. Those of you who were in the Marine Corps know what I am saying. On the "known distance rifle qualification course" (KD course) we were required to shoot at 500 meters with an M16. The target were 6' by 6' at the frame with the paper bullseye in the exact middle of the target board. Of course we shot from the prone position at that range. We used a tight sling hold. Many of my fellow Marines and I could hold 10 rounds in the 10" bull each time on light wind days. Not everyone could do this, but most who qualified Expert could. Now this type of shooting is nearly useless for hunting. I see the videos of guy using 20x scopes mounted on their 300 Ohmygosh Hoochy Wizbang Magnums take elk at 1000+ yards. The elk are always stationary and the shooter has time to set up on a bipod and execute perfect target shooting form. Nice for video, fun for shooter, not much real world hunting involved.

Also, I recently read an article by Mike Venturino espousing this same point that I had know for years. He pointed out that in the last BP Cartridge Shilouette championship the winning scores for the open sight division were virtually identical to the scoped division. Again thought, this competition is fired under ideal range conditions and not hunting conditions.