Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder Question

Old 01-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Powder Question

Question,

I am using a 50 cal Traditions 50 cal ml. i am using 2f smokeless powder in the barrel and using 4f black powder in the pan. is this ok, or should i be using all black powder. i like to use 2 in the barrel and 4 in the pan...any input?

Thanks,

KC
Old 01-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smoke less powder? i hope not!! NEVER USE SMOKELESS POWDER IN ANY MUZZLELOADER ! not designed for it.WHICH A FLINT LOCK IS NOT!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Dominant Buck

You really don't mean smokeless powder I hope? No smokeless powder in a muzzleloader. Now if you're shooting 2f black powder.. that is fine.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad View Post
You really don't mean smokeless powder I hope? No smokeless powder in a muzzleloader. Now if you're shooting 2f black powder.. that is fine.
In his post,he asks if he should use all Black powder!! that's why i typed what i did lol.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

Yikes I hope not.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

NO NO NO do not use smokeless powder in your muzzleloader of any kind unless you what to get heart are killed this is a no no
Old 01-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm with you guys. But he may be using BH209 or Balck MZ. And with a flintlock, I don't think either one is a good idea. He will not get reliable if any ignition. I would suggest you use all black powder. Something like Goex.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not mistaken that should be stamped on the barrel: "Black Powder Only."
Old 01-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey PAHUNTER, I know you said you're using "2F smokeless powder" in the barrel, but I don't think there's any such thing as a smokeless powder that's graded or labeled 2F. So I assume you're using an approved black powder substitute like Triple Seven FF.

If that's the case and you're getting good ignition then everything is fine. If you're getting poor ignition with delayed fire or frequent flashes in the pan without ignition of the main charge, you will find real black powder (I use GOEX) a vast improvement. You should not be able to distinguish a delay between the pan flash and ignition of the charge - i.e. no Whoosh-Bang, just BANG.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane View Post
Hey PAHUNTER, I know you said you're using "2F smokeless powder" in the barrel, but I don't think there's any such thing as a smokeless powder that's graded or labeled 2F. So I assume you're using an approved black powder substitute like Triple Seven FF.

If that's the case and you're getting good ignition then everything is fine. If you're getting poor ignition with delayed fire or frequent flashes in the pan without ignition of the main charge, you will find real black powder (I use GOEX) a vast improvement. You should not be able to distinguish a delay between the pan flash and ignition of the charge - i.e. no Whoosh-Bang, just BANG.
Yeah Semi I am thinking that's what he meant too. I dont think I have ever seen real smokeless powder labeled as "F"- as in 2F. I'm thinking KC meant to say substitute- as in black powder substitute versus real blackpowder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.