Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Custom 50 is almost ready >

Custom 50 is almost ready

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Custom 50 is almost ready

Old 01-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Banned

Default Custom 50 is almost ready

Got that custom .50cal out to 110 yards today, had to move the target back a good deal as it was in the shade and impossible to see. Once i moved it into the full sun, the 3" dot was fairly easy to see even with my eyes.

I got the perfect load for the rifle it seems and this will be my elk load this September once i find what unit i am going to try for.

90gr Pyrodex RS, lubed wad, 250gr REAL. 110 yards

As you can see i am impacting low. I will buy a brass front sight and mod that one as i do have trouble seeing this front sight at times during different light times. Today the front sight looked perfect, most times it has a huge shiny glare which makes finding the action edge of the sight very tough. This one however is sighted in perfect for patched round balls so i will leave it for ronnyvoo shoots if i got this year, and for just fun round ball shooting.

I'll file the new brass front sight to be dead on @ 100 yards and then try 150 and see if i want to make any more adjustments.

A good day!

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 01-13-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Got that custom .50cal out to 110 yards today, had to move the target back a good deal as it was in the shade and impossible to see. Once i moved it into the full sun, the 3" dot was fairly easy to see even with my eyes.

I got the perfect load for the rifle it seems and this will be my elk load this September once i find what unit i am going to try for.

90gr Pyrodex RS, lubed wad, 250gr REAL. 110 yards

As you can see i am impacting low. I will buy a brass front sight and mod that one as i do have trouble seeing this front sight at times during different light times. Today the front sight looked perfect, most times it has a huge shiny glare which makes finding the action edge of the sight very tough. This one however is sighted in perfect for patched round balls so i will leave it for ronnyvoo shoots if i go this year, and for just fun round ball shooting.

I'll file the new brass front sight to be dead on @ 100 yards and then try 150 and see if i want to make any more adjustments.

A good day!
Target looks good,but a 250 gr real soft lead bullet for elk hunting? think i would go with something quite a bit heavier myself..
Old 01-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Banned

No problem at all. A 54cal 223gr round ball with 80gr RS put a big hole in my elk at 140 yards. This thing will easily carry 3x the power behind it than the ball did.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

No problem at all. A 54cal 223gr round ball with 80gr RS put a big hole in my elk at 140 yards. This thing will easily carry 3x the power behind it than the ball did.
My friend it's only a matter of time before your running around trying to find a wounded elk using that bullet!! nuff said!!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Banned

Trust me ray... trust me!! Im the tester remember? For as long as i have been on here i've been told not to use this or that yet i do and show the others how its performed.

Its either the 250 real or the .54cal ball barrel on the renegade.

Remember, Powerbelts don't kill animals yet i showed it all in my hunting video the damage and he blood trail as well as the trophy at the end of the blood trail.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trust me ray... trust me!! Im the tester remember? For as long as i have been on here i've been told not to use this or that yet i do and show the others how its performed.

Its either the 250 real or the .54cal ball barrel on the renegade.

Remember, Powerbelts don't kill animals yet i showed it all in my hunting video the damage and he blood trail as well as the trophy at the end of the blood trail.
If your using the Aero lite video as a example, then you most certainly need a better bullet than a 250 gr real for elk that bullets performance was anything but good! and you would have had a wouded elk using it without a doubt.the real bullet in soft lead with it's tiny metplate isn't anywhere near good elk medicine.anyone who has hunted elk with full bore will tell you the same.. i won't say anything further on the matter..sometimes we all need to live and learn..
Old 01-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Banned

the powerbelt aerolite is a completely different bullet though. Hollow point VS Solid nose which doesn't explode on impact.

Animals aren't hard to kill, a good shot directly through the lungs with a deep penetrating bullet and its finished.

If that 223gr round ball did the job quickly and cleanly, this 250 REAL is going to do it just as clean and quick, if not quicker.

Don't worry Ray! Im not getting mad or anything LOL. I've been good at just not letting things get to me and just enjoy the forums and opinions.

Knowing my luck, i will mostly unload the rifle into a tree LOL.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

OH NO - Not another PB debate. MD, I'm with you. I firmly believe that the 250 REAL will dump an elk for you. And that is some darn good shooting. Now give me my rifle back. (I could kick myself for selling it to Chet.)
Oh well, at least it has a good home...
Old 01-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Banned

And i treat her right too! Unlike Chet who just left it in the corner, unloved.

Looking up a front sight for it now.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Dominant Buck

That is some good shooting for the REAL conical bullets. That's pushing them hard. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.