Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Just found out Deer season is still in, in Indiana >

Just found out Deer season is still in, in Indiana

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just found out Deer season is still in, in Indiana

Old 01-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Made a couple phone calls and it looks like I might have a place or two to hunt.

Your right Boonechaser this is like a small gift from the hunting gods!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rafsob
Boy I sure don't understand that philosophy??? This action would not work well in any deer management program I know. You would better off killing more does then bucks is you want to maintain a good trophy population.

I admit I am no expert, but have researched this for my hunt club. We have over 4000 acres and try to manage our deer pop as much as possible.

We have 7 kids between me and my two friends that I hunt with. Believe me there are plenty of doe killed. This year was just a funny year, things didn't seem to flow the way they usually do. Last year by the second weekend of December, I alone had taken two buck and 7 doe. And I took my bucks before I started taking doe. So, I am not sure what you are assuming, with your post.

Do you think shooting a bunch of doe first is going to give you a better chance at a quality buck, later in the season?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Boonechaser

We have 7 kids between me and my two friends that I hunt with. Believe me there are plenty of doe killed. This year was just a funny year, things didn't seem to flow the way they usually do. Last year by the second weekend of December, I alone had taken two buck and 7 doe. And I took my bucks before I started taking doe. So, I am not sure what you are assuming, with your post.

Do you think shooting a bunch of doe first is going to give you a better chance at a quality buck, later in the season?
Anywhere you live you better Shoot em when you see em or your going to have a empty freezer. No year is like the next and no State or Hunting Season can be Compared to another, to many things are different, weather, hunting pressure, deer numbers, ect. Some places have more deer than others, other's have less. When you get a deer in your sights reguardless of weather or not it a B&C Buck or a Good Eating Doe, Take it, because if you dont you'll be Eating Tag Soup and the rest of us will be Eating Venison Tenderloins.
(BP)
Old 01-12-2012, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Lucky dogs. Our season ended about a month ago. It seems to go by way too fast. I wish we had a late season.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL, that's an awesome thing to find out! I would be stoked, but my wife would be pissed! LOL
Old 01-12-2012, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Boonechaser
I wont kill doe untill my buck tags are filled and I will take anything 4.5 or older, no matter the score. In my area that seems to be 140" or better. If you would limit yourself to these size deer, you may have more B&C or P&Y bucks in your area Just Razzin Ya, Back!!
That's nice that you have some extended time in the woods.

That's not the case where I hunt. Heck a 7yr old buck might still only be a 130. We don't have the genes or ground to grow them like the midwest. Though I was reading an article not too long ago discussing the many different subspecies of whitetails in the US. That could have more to do with it than people realize.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's not the case where I hunt. Heck a 7yr old buck might still only be a 130. We don't have the genes or ground to grow them like the midwest. Though I was reading an article not too long ago discussing the many different subspecies of whitetails in the US. That could have more to do with it than people realize.
That's a big part of it TN. Our Southern deer don't need a big body mass to survive the winter. So they haven't evolved in that direction.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TNHagies
That's nice that you have some extended time in the woods.

There is alot that plays into it, we are lucky enough to have great genes, food sources and cover to create some really nice deer. Not many wolrd class but, nice bucks.

When they began restocking Indiana with whitetail in the 1930's they brought about 400 deer which were trapped and transferred from Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania and North Carolina. They were pretty well exstinct here before that time frame and untill the late 70's it was unusual to see a deer in the wild.

Now we have a healthy herd and record hunting numbers every year. Somewhere around 125,000 taken in season.

When me and my buddies see a small buck, we always joke about how that one must have came from PA or NC
Old 01-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane
That's a big part of it TN. Our Southern deer don't need a big body mass to survive the winter. So they haven't evolved in that direction.

Boy ain't that the truth!! I have seen yearling deer from Canada that are the size of our 1.5-2 year olds.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
LOL, that's an awesome thing to find out! I would be stoked, but my wife would be pissed! LOL
Those are my sentiments exactaly,every month after Oct 1 wife asks is hunting done yet .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.