Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Kamikaze Doe

Old 01-11-2012, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the other posters…what’s up with the front left leg? Is it buried in the pine needles? Because it looks like she’s missing the lower portion. And...no pass-thru? Not that it would make her any more dead, just wondering.

Your story is hilarious and I can totally relate!...except I didn’t have to use my boot. It was my first year hunting (a few years ago) and my second time out. I decided to show up as a stand-by at a special management hunt where they close the state park down for hunting. Well, there were some no-shows so I got to go. I didn’t really have much of an idea of what I was doing, so I just wandered into the woods and picked a holly tree with good cover to sit under. After a couple hours, I saw a goat off in the distance (at least I’m being honest as to my thoughts!)! As the goat got closer (moving perpendicular to my position), I realized it was a deer and got ready to fire. I had a shotgun loaded with 00 buck and took the first shot. This 3-point buck took a sharp 90-degree turn and started heading straight at me with his head down, half-kocked to the side and a crazy look in his eye! Needless to say, I freaked and fired off two more shots (maybe it was 3...who knows!) as he kept closing in. He literally ran inches past me and collapsed about 20 yards away. I’ll tell you what…it would have been no fun to have been impaled by his lone and very long spike tine.

Another guy who was hunting the same area came by to see why I shot so many times, and when I told him the story, I could see the, “yeah, right!” in his eyes. When we went back to the stool where I was sitting to get my stuff, he saw the blood trail right next to it and exclaimed, “Holy crap! I thought you were full of it!”

And please…no lectures on the use of buckshot. I was a newb and know better now.

Congrats on the doe. I love hunting!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Great story GeriatricNoxiousCanine. What size boots were you using to get a bump/flop like that? Also, how high are they? I've always used nine inch high boots, but am considering going up to elevens.

Congratulations on a very nice doe.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
The leg does look to have been broken in the past.

Also, what gun is that? I ask because I don't see a ramrod (which I assume you may not have replaced after reloading), but I also don't see a thimble for one on the lower side of the barrel. Just curious.
It's a New Frontier Cascade Magnum. Similar if not identical to the CVA Hunterbolt Magnum- it's made by CVA's parent company. I don't think they are manufactured anymore. It is a .45 caliber with a 1 in 28" twist. I removed the ramrod and thimble because when glass bedded the action to improve accuracy I got a little carried away and some of the bedding compound got in the groove where the ramrod sits. So after that I couldn't put the ramrod back in place. So now I carry a range rod with me whenever I'm out- kind of a pain sometimes, but that's life.....
Old 01-11-2012, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Enjoy the venison..way to go!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Great story GeriatricNoxiousCanine. What size boots were you using to get a bump/flop like that? Also, how high are they? I've always used nine inch high boots, but am considering going up to elevens.

Congratulations on a very nice doe.

Well, OneStepFromaMentalHospital, I had on 9 inch insulated rubber boots, size 13. I think that size 11's probably would not have resulted in such a clean, humane kill. Some tracking probably would have been necessary .

There was nothing wrong with the deer's hoof- I suspect it was buried in pine needles for the picture, it looked fine to me.

I did get a pass-thru, and the load was:

.40 cal 200 grain SST (red tip)
MMP tan sabot
80 grains T7 FFFG

The entrance hole was about the size of a quarter and the exit hole was golf-ball sized. I saw some evidence of bullet fragmentation, but the main body of the bullet did pass thru. Like I said, I've never seen that much blood from any hit, ever.

Crazy story! Thanks for the replies!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

BTW, what exactly is the caliber of that boot you were wearing???
Old 01-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Dice Doe. Glad you didn't get run over.

I've seen deer that were shot on drives, where the shooter had to step aside and shoot the deer as it pasted. wouldn't have believed it at the time,if there hadn't been snow on the ground to prove it.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

You need a bigger gun! Thanks for the story. I sure won't be hunting there with anything less than a 50 or possibly a 54 cal. I have enough trouble with 2 legged deer chasing me. Don't need the 4 legged kind doing it too.
Congrats.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually I had a buck charge me once. I was standing on the foot path he was coming up on. I had to jump behind a tree to stop from getting run over.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I had a doe almost run me over in some tall ( I think it was Sudan) grass field. They had paths through there and we were making a drive. A friend kicked her out. And she ran right down that path were I was. She was so close I touched her with the rifle barrel when she went by.