Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Pictures Finally of CVA Pistol >

Pictures Finally of CVA Pistol

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pictures Finally of CVA Pistol

Old 01-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default Pictures Finally of CVA Pistol

Well I finally was able to go shoot my new CVA Optima Pistol and post pics. Overall I am very impressed with the pistol. The only complaints that I have is getting a new oring to correct the spacing of the primer/firing pin bushing and the scope base. The scope base only has three slots making it impossible to use three scope rings. My uncle has a contender and all other contenders that i have seen has three rings to deal with the recoil. The pistol has the recoil of a 454 or a very hot load of a 44 mag. It is a blast to shoot though. Even placed a couple clay pigeions at 100 yards and the pistol tore them apart! I won't be afraid of a 100 yard shot, but still need to chrono though. Load so far is 90 grains BH209, 250 grain XTP, Harvester crushed rib sabot. Warne low mounts and Simmons 4x pistol scope.
Attached Thumbnails Pictures Finally of CVA Pistol-sany0374.jpg   Pictures Finally of CVA Pistol-sany0375.jpg   Pictures Finally of CVA Pistol-sany0376.jpg   Pictures Finally of CVA Pistol-sany0379.jpg  
Old 01-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Dominant Buck

That is just a very cool pistol. Nice shooting. And that load you're shooting.. WOW that has some horse power to it. I have no doubt that would take a deer with ease. Congratulations on a fine pistol. I'd love to shoot that horse.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Have you ever seen the pistol tripod that Melissa Bachman uses for her long barreled scoped contender pistol? It supports both the barrel and the butt of the pistol. From a seated position and of course with practice, I could see where that would be a very accurate rig.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Really good shooting. what's the max load for that pistol? as far as the scope rings and base are concerned, you might want to go to a solid 1 piece, which IMHO are far stronger..just a thought!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Banned

100gr max load.

Hold on tight!

Great groups! I think if you get on a real good steady rest and get more practice, you'll find that pistol to be just as accurate as the full size optima! Its pretty darn scary.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
100gr max load.

Hold on tight!

Great groups! I think if you get on a real good steady rest and get more practice, you'll find that pistol to be just as accurate as the full size optima! Its pretty darn scary.
I think i would back the charge down to about 70 gr and call it good lol. that's plenty for 100 yd shooting.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

That is really cool looking. I enjoy hunting with handguns. Only PA has restriced ML pistols to .54 or larger for big game and .50 for other game. If they make it in a .54 I will have me one for sure.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Nice looking rig!!! I would love to use that rig in the woods, but can't in Virginia. Can't use it for hunting deer.

But that load would test anyone for sure. I shoot my cap and ball pistols, but with nothing close to that load and bullet weight. I would love to try working with one. I have two contender frames with ten barrels and about five hunting rigged hand cannons.

I would love to hear what the chronoed velocities are for the different loads. Please get back with us and let us know the data.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty impressive.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

I will post the chrono results when I get them done. I may at some point go up to 95 grains, but I highly doubt 100. But who knows?! Also I may see what a 300 grain bullet would do. Just gives me more stuff to play around with!