Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 CDS >

Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 CDS

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 CDS

Old 01-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 CDS

Just got this scope today that will be replacing the Burris on my Pro Hunter and man is it nice. Very nice glass, clicks are nice and crisp, and the FireDot is user friendly. I love the looks of the 30mm tube also. I obviously haven't put this scope to the performance test yet but so far I give it an A+. I'm really looking forward to trying out the CDS dial also. It won't be for a little while as I still have to try some new loads and tweak some current ones but will probably at least have a dial made for the 195 grain Barnes. Very Happy I do apologize if the pictures are too big, I'm using photobucket and re-sized them to medium but they still showed up big.

Here's a picture of the CDS dial and the button that controls the FireDot

Old 01-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chad, Ron's had excellent luck with the CDS installed on the Leuplods.having them set up for the Barnes is a good idea and i bet using something like a SST, there wouldn't be much POI difference. Nikon is offering a turret program now and i have a Nikon buck master 3-9X40, i am seriously considering installing them on the scope.$99.00 and mounting it on the .45 cal kodiak i bought!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Sweet!! How does that cds work?
Old 01-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by omegasmoke
Sweet!! How does that cds work?
You basically send them all the info on your bullet of choice. Muzzle velocity, BC, caliber etc.Ron on this site uses it on his Leupolds and it works excellent and no multiple aiming points just dial it in for the yardage you need, which are marked on the turret.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

Basically from what I understand, you give Leupold your info including velocity, bullet weight, type, B.C., average altitude and temp. and they make you a custom dial that you can just adjust to whatever distance your shooting instead of using holdover.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chaded
Basically from what I understand, you give Leupold your info including velocity, bullet weight, type, B.C., average altitude and temp. and they make you a custom dial that you can just adjust to whatever distance your shooting instead of using holdover.
Exactly chad and Nikon's offering it now also.great upgrade for us Muzzy shooters..
Old 01-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

I agree, it just seems like a good addition to a scope for a muzzleloader. I think you should get one for your Buckmaster and try it out. I wish I could take a picture of the FireDot reticle on this scope because it is just sweet! As you can see my camera is junk and I know it wouldn't do it justice whatsoever.

Last edited by chaded; 01-06-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chaded
I agree, it just seems like a good addition to a scope for a muzzleloader. I think you should get one for your Buckmaster and try it out. I wish I could take a picture of the FireDot reticle on this scope because it is just sweet! As you can see my camera is junk and I know it wouldn't do it justice whatsoever.
the camera on my phone was junk also. i took care of that today. the lil lady and i went out and upgraded our phones we both bought the HTC 4g inspires and the picture quality is awesome when i get a few extra bucks, i may try the turret system nikon offers. until then i will keep an eye on the reviews.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

I've got a new Redfield Revolution scope on my Endeavor. I wonder if Leupold will start offering CDS on them. If not I may have to upgrade, that CDS sounds pretty cool.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

chaded

Nice looking scope!

The cds dial on my rifles, keeps a smile on my face every time i shoot them. It still amazes me when i dial a range, pull the trigger, and see the hole in the target a way way out, through the spotting scope. Hitting plastic jugs filled with water is a great great cackle, and is so easy at virtually any range, compared to using a reticle with marks, that may or may not, be properly located.

Since equipping my rifles with cds dials, the most difficult thing i have experienced, is finding a place to shoot them, at ranges far enough out, to test the accuracy of the marks on the dial.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.