Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
First Try at a Bed Job >

First Try at a Bed Job

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First Try at a Bed Job

Old 01-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default First Try at a Bed Job

I have a Knight Disc Elite Black/Blue in a 45 which has not shot to expectations. I've noticed that the forked lug is not welded square with the barrel. In this model, the forks actually catch the recoil and the back of the lug does not touch the back of the lug box on the stock.

While it may be that I haven't found the sweet load, I thought a I'd try my first bed job. I used Acraglass Gel from Brownwell's.

Below is a pic of my prep work. I used modeling clay and tape to fill the lug bolt and to create a channel for the rod.

The glass moved around much more than I anticipated. If I do another one, I'll skip the clay and just auger out the channel for the rod. I'm glad I was over generous with the release agent.

All in all I'm pleased with the results. The blue patch you see is a little piece of painters tape I put on where I thought the electrical tape had a gap around the forked lug. It's now a permanent part of the glass but shouldn't hurt a thing other than cosmetics. You can see where the lug is not square with the barrel.

I can't wait to what impact this make on accuracy. All in all, a fun project with some key learings.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Photo appear to show you did a nice bed job. The back of the lug now being held by the bed, should lead to better accuracy. Time will tell. Hope your first trip to the range yield good result, and makes you so so very happy.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im sure you did a nice job, but if I had that Knight I'd have sent it back for another one. Why should you have to fix there mistake.
I've also noticed that a few on here have bedded and glassed there MLer's, not saying that this does'nt help but I've owned some real in-expensive MLer's $89, and among them and any other one I have ever owned I got them to shoot good no matter how they were built.
Most Flaws are in the Manufacturing process, if it is'nt right send em back and make them make it right......just saying....am I missing ssomething? and dont hate on me
(BP)
Old 01-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

looks like a good job everytime you do one it gets better and you can improve on what you did it was that way for me like to see your range report good shooting
Old 01-05-2012, 02:52 AM
Typical Buck

BreechPlug,

I should clarify. I don't have a problem with the rifle. I actually love the rifle. This was more of me wanting to stretch my skill sets and since I noticed the lug was off I thought it would be a good place to start. Below is a group from last summer. Now, this is probably my best group but the rifle will shoot in pre modification form. I just want to see how much this improves things if at all.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Josmund
BreechPlug,

I should clarify. I don't have a problem with the rifle. I actually love the rifle. This was more of me wanting to stretch my skill sets and since I noticed the lug was off I thought it would be a good place to start. Below is a group from last summer. Now, this is probably my best group but the rifle will shoot in pre modification form. I just want to see how much this improves things if at all.

It's always good to expand your skill mode. From the looks of your target your using a 180xtp with 50grs of BH and a winchester primer??? or is that 80grs of BH? If it's 50 I'd up the charge a little and Im sure that will tighten up your group a little more, is this with or without a scope?
(BP)
Old 01-05-2012, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

My opinion is that a good bedding job will improve the accuracy of any gun. It eliminates any play in the barrel to stock fit and thus makes things more consistant. Of course some guns need it more than others, I have a new gun right now that I am going to bed before I even shoot it the first time.
Let us know how it shoots Josmund.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
It's always good to expand your skill mode. From the looks of your target your using a 180xtp with 50grs of BH and a winchester primer??? or is that 80grs of BH? If it's 50 I'd up the charge a little and Im sure that will tighten up your group a little more, is this with or without a scope?
(BP)
It's actually 90 of Blackhorn 209. Handwriting was always my worst subject.

As mentioned above, this is my best group. I had trouble duplicating this performance on a consistent basis.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

2" at 100 aint bad, though you say this is the best it will do with that load. I'm guessing that a different load (maybe just a different charge) would provide better overall results, but I couldn't begin to advise you there.

Always fun to try new things, and assuming it is done right, a bed job can't hurt anything.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

How hard was it to bed? I have an Omega that I want to get a Laminate stock for and do a bed job on it. I just don't want to get a new stock and mess it up. Were the directions easy to follow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.