Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Pushing a Charge Out??? >

Pushing a Charge Out???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pushing a Charge Out???

Old 01-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pushing a Charge Out???

After hunting I just take the ramrod and push the charge out the breech end of the barrell and dispose of the powder and sabot. I then re-oil the barrell until the next hunt and start fresh. My question is, is there any reason to not use the bullet again in the next load. I have a T/C spin jag that fits the 300gr. deep curl perfectly and the bullet looks fine with no marks on it. Just wanted your opinion. What do you guys think? Would you re-use the bullet?
Old 01-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I would.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the bullet isn't damaged, i see no reason not to use it again.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

I usually re-use my bullet as long as it doesnt look stressed (marked up)from pushing it down the bore, like you mentioned I am also using the correct loading jag for my bullet.

I have purposely loaded a bullet, pushed the load back out and then re-loaded (the same bullet) at the bench to see if my re-loaded bullet will still group with the rest of my shots. I have not had any negative results with my re-used bullet so far.

Some guys will say, "The bullet's cheap, why take chances with a re-loaded one?". You know, I cant really argue with that! I still re-use them though, as long as they look ok. I guess it comes down to personal preference.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

All this season I unloaded after every hunt and put a new bullet, sabot and powder charge in the next morning. I was using pellets and Will reuse the pellets and bullet/sabot combo at the range this year. It will be interesting to see how they shoot.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

I would re use the bullet if it looks ok, would definatly use a new sabot tho.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SHulion
After hunting I just take the ramrod and push the charge out the breech end of the barrell and dispose of the powder and sabot. I then re-oil the barrell until the next hunt and start fresh. My question is, is there any reason to not use the bullet again in the next load. I have a T/C spin jag that fits the 300gr. deep curl perfectly and the bullet looks fine with no marks on it. Just wanted your opinion. What do you guys think? Would you re-use the bullet?
Exactly what I do, except the oiling part.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've pushed out a few loads with both powder and pellets, put them in sandwich bags, the fold top, and tied the ends togeather and put them in a box in my cedar chest, the bullets and sabots in one bag, the powder and pellets in another and the primers all in one bag, I had a nice collection.
This year my cheapskate buddy who makes $60 an hour and works 60+hrs a week was out of everything, bullets, primers and sabots and pellets, he was to cheap to run down and get more and asked me if I had any....I thought and said yea I'll bring em by later and we'l sight your MLer in.
I had my hands on the new box of pellets I just bought my wife a week ago and was about to grab the bullets and primers when I spied the box of used one's I had, I left with the used stuff, I know Im bad, but I also brought the new stuff and hid it under my truck seat just in case.
Now some of the pellets were at least 5 years old, and the sabots showed some signs of rifle groving from being pushed down the barrel when loaded, the bullets looked new and the pellets were not broken or pieces missing. I thought why would'nt any of this work fine.....mabey some of the pellets could be bad after 5 years but heck they looked good too........we loaded the first round, stepped up to the bench, he cocked back the hammer, aimed and...............
BOOM! my buddy shot a bunch more times and so did I to make sure I was as good at it with his MLer as he was, we finished off all my old stuff and he wanted to shoot a few more. Since I lived closer to where I buy the stuff then he does I sold him the stuff I had under my truck seat, plus I just had to be sure the new stuff was going to be as on the target as the old stuff was, If not I would just reset his scope and blame it on him and not tell him I used old stuff when we sighted in. This was a good test as I always wondered what it I used the old for myself.
Loaded up the new and BOOM, right on, BOOM again and right on. What can I say but it was fine and the old was as good as the new. The only thing I worried about was that mabey the slight rifle grooves in the sabots from being pushed down the barrel then out when saved would cause a slight problem, they did'nt.
Also since I use Pyro RS and the Wife uses Pellets I dont keep up on her stuff as good as I do mine, I'll buy her a box of pellets and keep the same box untill there gone, even if it takes a couple of years to finish off, there stored in a cedar chest in a zip lock bag.
I found a box of pellets 2 years back that I bought 3 years befor that, I know because when I buy something I write on it with a sharpie marker the date. Anyway I opened this 5 year old box of Pyro Pellets, they looked good and when I shot it, it hit where we were sighted in for. I've been using that same box for the wife untill I bought her a new box this year, the MLer hit in the same spot with the old as they did with the new one's. If there would have been any differences believe me I would have bought new one's.
Good thing my wife is'nt on here as a member as she'd kill me, enough said.
After all I found out would I use the old stuff for me, no, in a pinch if I had to would I, yes.
(BP)
Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

Even if the bullet is deformed I use em. My shots in the brush are under 30 yards and the bullet does not wander off as if you were using it for 100 yards or more. Pellets I used to use, but loose is better. You can also unload loose the same way, if you rotate your gun upside down, the powder does not get into the trigger assembly. Swab and lube and your good.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Pellets, bullets and sabots get re-used! No noticeable problems have been observed. Its not that I'm cheap, its just that I can find no reason why to not re-use. I will, however, not re-use loose powder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.