Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Got my first Muzzleloader! >

Got my first Muzzleloader!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got my first Muzzleloader!

Old 01-02-2012, 04:46 AM
Spike

Default Got my first Muzzleloader!

I am normally a bow hunter but I have decided to start muzzleloader hunting. I live in Oregon that has some very strict rules on black powder. No scopes,No 209, open ignition, no sabot or and bullet that is more than twice in length as it is around. But still we have some real good hunts. Worse thing here is the fact the cougars are way out of control!
I bought a 50 caliber "Traditions evolution" inline.....I haven't shot it yet since there are a bunch of things I need to buy yet.
I did buy some CCI #11 mag. caps though. My question is, can I pop off a few caps and not have to clean my gun after that since it will just be the caps?.....I just want to pull that trigger so bad!!!!!
Pray for my family since this is going to open up a lot more hunting for elk and deer!!!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:05 AM
Spike

I forgot to mention that in Oregon we have a point system when it comes to drawing tags. I have 12 points for deer but the hunt I want only takes 6 points so my hunting partner said if I was to let him apply with me we both will draw the tag. He offered me this ... he will pay 100% of the gas and we split the food....too good to pass up.
I only have 2 points for elk but that will draw the tag.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Clean it. You need the practice. I have fired caps on a side lock prior to loading and not fired the gun for a long time but I do not recommend it. Keep your gun clean to avoid any problems.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am new to the blackpowder scene too. I would not take any chances, once rusted always rusted. Hope the deer and elk hunting goes well. If you are ever around Tangent, say Hello to a Jenks from a MO cousin.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Dominant Buck

If you have a loading jag, put a clean patch on the end of the jag. Now push the patch with the ramrod and jag, down to the breech. The patch will catch most of the cap discharge. Now with all that in place, pop a cap or two. This is actually a good idea because you not only feel the trigger pull but also test the rifles ability to properly fire a cap.

When you are all done with your testing and playing, put a clean patch on the jag and swab the bore. Then apply some gun oil on a new patch and swab the barrel with that. Primers are said to be non corrosive if you believe that.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ditto on what Cayugad said. Just don't use too much oil on the patch and set the rifle muzzle down so any excess does not go into the flash hole and cause a misfire later. And before you load, run a couple dry patches down the bore to get and oil out of the bore.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats and welcome to the world of muzzleloading!
Old 01-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Jenks
I am new to the blackpowder scene too. I would not take any chances, once rusted always rusted. Hope the deer and elk hunting goes well. If you are ever around Tangent, say Hello to a Jenks from a MO cousin.
Tangent is just a couple miles West of me....I take it that Jenks in Tangent would be Jenks hatchery...never heard a bad word of them. they been here a long time.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

congrats on the new toy and welcome to the forum!!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whtelk1--

That is the tribe. The family went to MO(from VA) after the civil war, then some went to OR and went into the chicken business. I keep saying that I am going to drive out there and say Hello, but I keep putting it off, with gas prices and such. If you see a Jenks, say Hi for me.

I think the need to keep that new gun clean is important. I just sold one(TC Hawken) that I had bought from a friend, it had bore butter in the barrel. When I cleaned it out, it had rust underneath. I sold it to a guy that put a new barrel on it. I doubt if the guy that sold it to me knew it was rusted. So, I decided not to buy the bore butter protection theory, after cleaning with hot soapy water, mine will get some Hoppe's #9. I will just have to clean the Hoppe's out before loading. I have never had a gun rust with Hoppe's in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.