Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Flintlock

Old 01-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Spike

Default New Flintlock

Hello, i am in the market for a new flintlock for the after season in pa. Years back i had a traditions deer hunter. I loved that gun but sold it to a friend. Now i am looking again. Just looking for some info on whats out there pros/cons. thanks.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not many options these days...hardly anyone makes new traditional guns anymore. Lyman is what I would get if I was buying a new one today. You might want to post in the m/l forum - you'll get a better response.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

lyman. im hunting here in pa with it in the late season too.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Typical Buck

The Traditions PA Pellet rifle is an intriguing flintlock because of its modern features that includes a removable breech plug, 1 in 48" twist rifling and a new improved flint lock.
Traditions claims that extensive salt spray testing has proven that their Premium Cerakote [silver] finish is 50 times more rust resistant than stainless steel.
And it also comes in a variety of composite, camo and wood stock models.
If I were going to buy a flintlock for hunting or passive recreational shooting then that's the model that I would buy.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/pr...roducts_id=838

Last edited by arcticap; 01-02-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey jwatts, if you're up to spending a little extra, Cabala's has the .54 Pedersoli Jager in the Bargain Cave for $400 off.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Barga...3Bcat105637680

It has a 1:24 twist and ought to shoot big lead as well as sabots real well. We sure would like to see some range reports for that gun.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Of the production Flintlocks out there.. you need to look at how you hunt first. Are you a stalker, meaning do you walk all day. Then you need a rifle that is not as heavy as some of the others. If you park in a blind, then a more heavy rifle is not a problem. Do you hunt open areas or thickets? Barrel length might be taken into consideration. Are you traditional to the degree that you want to shoot roundball and roundball only? Then you need a roundball twist. Or do you want to shoot conicals or sabots? Then you need to look for the twist that will best accomplish that.

Some rifles to consider;

Lyman Deerstalker
Lyman Trade Rifle
Lyman Great Plains Rifle
Lyman Great Plains Hunter
Traditions PA Pellet
T/C Firestorm
T/C Hawkins
Used rifles

Or if your wallet is fat.. then look at some of the high end Tradition Rifles like the Shenandoah, Tennessee, Kentucky, etc..

If I did not own a flintlock and wanted just one rifle, it would be a Lyman Great Plains Rifle with the 1-60 twist in .54 caliber. I would shoot roundball. It would be my short walks, sit in the blind,and have fun at the target range rifle. If it were for strictly hunting int he woods though, a Lyman Trade Rifle in .54 caliber is sure hard to beat.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lyman DeerStalker is all you will ever need in Pa.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

www.flintlocks.com

Check these guns out, the best there is...

If you're gonna get a flintlock, get the best...
Old 01-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by arcticap
The Traditions PA Pellet rifle is an intriguing flintlock because of its modern features that includes a removable breech plug, 1 in 48" twist rifling and a new improved flint lock.
Traditions claims that extensive salt spray testing has proven that their Premium Cerakote [silver] finish is 50 times more rust resistant than stainless steel.
And it also comes in a variety of composite, camo and wood stock models.
If I were going to buy a flintlock for hunting or passive recreational shooting then that's the model that I would buy.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/pr...roducts_id=838
Wow,that Pa pellet looks like its what i want. What are the advantages in the 1in48" twist compared to 1 in 24" twist? More spin,better accuracy im assuming? Thanks again.. Now the real trouble,trying to find one,seems alot of them are on backorder.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow,that Pa pellet looks like its what i want. What are the advantages in the 1in48" twist compared to 1 in 24" twist? More spin,better accuracy im assuming? Thanks again.. Now the real trouble,trying to find one,seems alot of them are on backorder.
The 1-48 twist will shot roundball, conicals, and sabots. Maybe one better then the other. The 1-24 twist is more of a conical and sabot shooting rifle. It will shoot roundball but the twist is all wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.