Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Butch's Bore Shine >

Butch's Bore Shine

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Butch's Bore Shine

Old 12-31-2011, 03:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by moose drool
Thanks guys. I'm slowly, very slowly, getting the hang of this muzzleloading lifestyle.
Dave suggested Simple Green as a general product to clean your bore, which really is a good product... But another thing you might consider for the beginning process is just plain old regular blue windex patches ran through the bore to pre-clean it.

In my case instead of Simple Green, i go to a Home Depot and get Zep Commercial Heavy Duty Citrus Degreaser - Professional Strength cleaner. Mixed about the same as Dave suggests but this stuff is an excellent metal stripper and cleaner.

I do not believe it is necessary to clean with a barrel bath every time you shoot T7, it is necessary to clean but that is where I use Windex patches to clean, usually 4-5 patches, and a couple of wet Bore Shine patches and let it soak in the bore for 30 minutes. That will neutralize any remains of powder residue loosen and help remove any of the more stubborn stuff. Then in the end I apply Montana X-treme Bore conditioner or Slip 2000 bore oil.

When i put the gun away for a long period of time, or after a lot of shooting it will get the water bath treatment, followed with a boiling water rinse to remove any plastic fouling if there is any and there is very little now days. Hardly ever use a bore brush and if I do it will be a fiber brush.

Lots of ways to get things done....