Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Warning cva hunterbolt rifles >

Warning cva hunterbolt rifles

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Warning cva hunterbolt rifles

Old 12-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Spike

Angry Warning cva hunterbolt rifles

If you have a CVA bolt action ML BEWARE of the SAFETY! I feel that this matter needs to get out. I had a gun/archery shop and sold several of these when they came out. In fact I and my family still use 3 of them. However when I cleaned the gun after season I took the safe off and put the gun back on "SAFE" it didn't go on "SAFE" unless I lIfted the bolt handle!!. I had this happen to methis year and thought I was handling a safe gun. I had too high a percentage of them coming back with trigger problems. The pin that holds the sear doesn't go all the way thru the housing and either backs out or the tip breaks off, leaving the sear supported by only one end. This can cause the problem described above or to go off too easily.
To their credit CVA has been exceptionaly good about replacing the trigger assemblies for the guns that have come into my shop. If you have one of these guns be sure to check out the safety as I'm sure I didn't sell the only ones that developed this unsafe problem.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Banned

Seen this long ago on another forum.

A lot of my members have these rifles with no trouble. Like all things out there, there will always be a bad egg in the bunch.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had a Hunterbolt for 6 years, no problems. Thanks for the heads up, though....
Old 12-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Very good information to know. One can never be too safe with any firearm. And if it is only one rifle in a thousand or ten thousand, you need to know that this can happen. I don't own that model rifle, but will keep it in mind should someone ever have a question about this issue, I can refer them to your post.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've also had one for a long time, no problems either.
(BP)
Old 01-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Spike

Can't beleive I got the only bad ones. 1/4-1/3 back for same problem. They did come from same distr. so it is possible that only that batch had problems. Just thought that Thunderbolt users should be aware of the potential problem and keep an eye out for it.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Banned

thunderbolt and hunterbolt are made by 2 different companies. The thunderbolt is traditions.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea mine's a CVA Hunterbolt 209 Mag
So wich is it, a Thunderbolt or Hunterbolt?
(BP)
Old 01-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Banned

i remember my evolution " traditions" had an adjustable trigger and if you did it to much it acted like rem700 and would go off when you closed the bolt. Actually even my Mosin Nagant does that too.