Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Said Good Bye to an Old Friend Tonight >

Said Good Bye to an Old Friend Tonight

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Said Good Bye to an Old Friend Tonight

Old 12-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Said Good Bye to an Old Friend Tonight

Our Late MLing Season ended tonight, I did'nt get that Big Buck that I was looking for, but have no regrets on the season passing. We have 3 adult deer in the freezer and I made it through another hunting season, what more could anyone ask for.
As I walked out of the woods tonight I stopped by a old friend, a giant red oak. This red oak has been here for generations, she's stood the test of time and has seen more big bucks go by her than I will ever see. She dropped a gazillion acorns to feed the deer I hunt. I just had to pay her some respect as I walked by as I have on many occasions just to awe at her size.
No doubt she'll be here long after Im gone as the saw will never take her beauty from our woods. This is something most never seem to notice as they venture through the woods after there quarry. For me it is one more reason to know why I love being in the woods and enjoying the great outdoors, it's more than hunting that matters to me............
(BP)
Attached Thumbnails Said Good Bye to an Old Friend Tonight-dsc00659.jpg  
Old 12-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

DANG!!! Ol` Breechplug is a TreeHugger. (And a poet. Must be the wine.)

Good read BP.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane

Good read BP.
LOL

Agree, good read BP. That is one awesome tree for sure. Sounds like you had a good season.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good read BP.
Ya know Semi and dont tell anyone, but I have gave that ol girl a hug or two but Im no treehugger.
(BP)
Old 12-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Those big old trees are amazing things to see. I had a few Spruce in my woods until the tornado last year and all of them are now down. What a shame, they'd stood for countless years only to fall from Mother Nature's wrath. Although Spruce cause their own problem as they are a shallow root tree and they actually get too big to hold themselves. Oak are different. That is a nice big old oak.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

but I have gave that ol girl a hug or two
I think you are mistaken Breechplug. That tree ain't no girl. If you check real close I'll bet you will see nuts.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=Breechplug;3892494] This is something most never seem to notice as they venture through the woods after there quarry.
That may be true, but just yesterday morning as I was still hunting I took a break and sat on a tree that was one of many that was blown down from a wind storm during the summer. Just 15 yards to my left stands a giant white oak about the same size as the oak in your picture. I admire that tree every time I see it.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you are mistaken Breechplug. That tree ain't no girl. If you check real close I'll bet you will see nuts.
I guess you can say for sure then, she is one real tough girl
(BP)
Old 12-21-2011, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

Same here, BP.
I enjoyed my customary spot & stalk in a field where I do this every year in the late season it seems; they know I'm there but play along. Ended in a mexican stand-off w/ a young doe staring back at me while I looked down the sights at her. Finally just before sunset, I stood up & waved her and her pals off-for next year...
Took the long way out and stopped by a few spots much as you describe just to say thanks and bid adieu. These places have taught me a lot about both hunting and myself over the years, it's good to appreciate them.
I reached the van just as the stars were making their appearance, turned the key and 2011 was in the books. Already I was thinking what I will do differently next year.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Back when I lived in Georgia I used to go spring turkey hunting in the mountains. I had one special midday nap spot in a stand of hemlocks. I understand from a forrester friend that this was the southern-most stand of hemlocks in the country. The small needles on the forest floor certainly made a comfortable bed. Things like this are some to the main reasons l love hunting so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.