Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What is it that excites you about Muzzleloading? >

What is it that excites you about Muzzleloading?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What is it that excites you about Muzzleloading?

Old 12-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default What is it that excites you about Muzzleloading?

You know I got to thinking about the events of my kill this past weekend. I have got to admit, it was a "blast!" If I would have had a rifle in my hands it would have still been fun, but the muzzleloader made it an unforgettable hunt. I mean just the thought of all of those deer staying in the field after I missed on the original shot, then the reloading process for the second shot. I mean really, it was nerve racking. I have killed a number of good deer but there was just something about that one that will last forever. The second shot, hitting the deer and not being able to see him fall because he went into that field of crp! Then having to reload again and taking my eyes off the target again so that I could pour the loose powder down the barrel and then get my sabot and bullet started, then seating the bullet, then changing out that primer in the Mountaineer, I'm telling you, it was exciting!! I love to bowhunt and have killed some good good deer while doing it! I think it is the one shot thing that gets me a little pumped, knowing that there is a very good chance there won't be another. Who knows exactly!! I can say this, it is fun and full of excitement, and I would relive that night again just to feel the rush and the nervousness again!! Yeah I guess you could say that is why I hunt, "I Love It!"
So what about you, why do you muzzleload?
Old 12-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

For me it is the mental challenge of only one shot while hunting (relatively speaking). I live and hunt in a shotgun only area; I love that the ML can be used in all seasons. I love that it is more accurate than my slug gun. I plan on some out of state hunts in the coming years. I will use my ML exclusively.

I don't really like bowhunting. I prefer to spend my time in the woods with a firearm.

I also like being able to experiment with different loads. I can spend hours at the range in a relaxed methodical way without burning through multiple boxes of expensive shells.

Finally, the ML is just cool. It is different than what everybody else is doing. My ML makes me happy.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

As someone that handloads for my other guns, being actively involved in developing a good load is quite rewarding. Also when hunting, knowing I have one shot (not fast at reloading my ML) and getting closer than with my centerfires.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

onetohunt

All the different challenges is what i really enjoy...
Old 12-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is something unique about putting powder down the barrel and then seating a bullet on top of it. There is always that question if I did everything right and will it shoot when I pull the trigger. When it does and the smoke has cleared to reveal my success, I get a great feeling of accomplishment, more so than if I had just made the same shot with my shotgun. And if you ever get a chance to shoot a second deer after you already have one down and you have to reload, that really takes the cake.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
onetohunt

All the different challenges is what i really enjoy...
Old 12-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Muzzle loading to me saved my hunting enjoyment. Not that I have anything against center fire rifles. I own and have used enough of them. But many years ago, hunting was getting stagnant. Stagnant in term of lack of excitement anymore.

When I was young and a kid, it was hanging with the elders, learning how to shoot, and how to track. It was being trusted to have the elders allow me to hunt with them, and adding to the family meat supply. Being taught to butcher my own deer.

After I left home and was on my own, I hunted for a while with a gang of guys. That too was fun. We had excellent hunting land to use because of the farms owned, but it was the after hunting stuff, the cook outs, the parties, the social aspects, and yes the hunting . All the time, we hunted with center fire rifles. And 99% of the time it was one shot, one kill. And we never got skunked.

Then along came marriage and a new way of life. The parties were gone, it was work, work, work, and home life. When hunting season came it was out to fill freezers. And I was good at it. But I discovered I was not enjoying it. I had little time to hunt, and so I shot to tag out. The enjoyment was kind of missing.

Then I met this crazy guy. He had some good hunting land and so did I. And he was different. His idea of fun was going to rendezvous, throwing knives, tomahawks, and shooting muzzleloaders. When we deer hunted that first year, I had a 7mm mag and he had a .58 caliber CVA Mountain Rifle. We both got deer, but I was with him when he spotted his, and we stalked it, and finally he got close enough and one shot.. the smoke, the roar of the rifle, and to me that deer was really something. So I got a muzzleloader right after deer season, a .54 caliber ( could not find a .58 on sale) Renegade Kit.

I spent the winter putting the rifle together and finally shooting it with my friends help. He taught me all these little tricks to make the rifle shoot better, and be dependable. The following year, I shot my first buck with a muzzleloader. It was not a big deer, as I had little time to hunt. But to me it was a trophy. But a trophy because I shot it a 30 some yards, after waiting and waiting and anticipating his moves. If I had the 7mm mag, he'd of died the second he stepped out into the field. But this time, I did it all correct, the rifle, the load, and the shot. The enjoyment was back.

Since then I moved on in my life and the way I hunt. Granted the muzzleloader was always a part of my hunting after that. And some years I got skunked. And for some reason that did not bother me. Then more rifles started to accumulate. And range time was my get away and relax time. The fact that if I did everything rifle, I could make that rifle shoot accurate was just a head rush. Inlines came along, and then inlines with scopes. Now I stress working over rifles and loads to get the very best from them. Casting my own bullets. And most of all sharing what little knowledge I have with others interested in the sport. Watching them progress in the muzzleloading sport. And most of all I enjoy reading about or hearing about their exploits. And the excitement it brings them.

I find a lot of personal satisfaction in the fact that when I hunt, I have once chance, and if it fails its probably me to blame. And I accept that. One reason I never take a shot I am sure I can not pull off or one I have not practiced, I guess. The older you get, I guess the thrill of killing an animal starts to diminish. Sure the meat is a treat. But now I just like to see what these antique firearms can be made to do. Flintlocks are becoming my passion now I find. That is what I like about muzzleloading. The excitement is back.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally 25+ years back I got into MLing to get a extra 9 days to hunt deer. Being out there when just about all the other shotgun hunters had put away there guns for the season and having the whole woods to myself and be able to hunt without pressure did it for me.
Back then it was patch and round ball only with no scopes, I bought a 50cal Dixe Gun Works Poor Boy some 3F Goex and hit the target. I got real good and had it sighted in, late MLing season came and I got my first MLer Buck, a 6pt, I was hooked for life.
Today I get all the thrill out of MLing from the fact that I only have one shot, I load it and pick what it shoots the best and take my one and only best shot. I have never had the smoke clear and not have a deer on the ground after it. I get a thrill knowing when my buddys hear me shoot they know I got one, there's no question in there minds about that.
I hunt with my MLer through our Rifle Season and with it in Late MLing Season, it's the only thing I use for hunting, why would anyone need anything else or more than one shot. My buddys used to think I was nuts to only use a MLer, but now they just know that Im not handicapped in the least.
MLing has taught me diciplin, patience and respect, I cant pick just one thing I like about MLing, I like it all.
(BP)
Old 12-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like tinkering with things to make them work good. That makes muzzleloading a good fit for me.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why, more hunting opportunity, more challenging (one shot), I use traditional rifles 99.9% of the time so I prefer to get close (<50 yds), the joy of casting my own bullets and taking game with them, finding the most accurate load for a ML.
And one of the neatest things is watching some guys snicker at the range when I uncase the Hawken while they are shooting their new "super duper magnum", and then watching their jaws drop when I go pull my target that has either one big ragged hole of a nice tight cluster of bullets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.