Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The Deer are getting Too Smart >

The Deer are getting Too Smart

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Deer are getting Too Smart

Old 12-15-2011, 06:21 AM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Heard on the news today that half of the schools in America didn't meet scholastic standards. So the deer aren't getting smarter, rather people are dumber
You may be on to something there MM. The older I get the more I realize just how dumb I am. You wouldn't believe how smart I was (so I thought) 30 years ago.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

I also want to add that I went to using a climber most of this year so that deer didn't pattern my permanent spots. I would pick a different tree many acres away for each hunt. I never hunted the same woods more than twice a week.

So if it was 80 acres wood, I would hunt the west side once, then the east side the next. North, then South.

Mixing in different property's to let land rest as much as possible.

But I don't know why I did that. I ran into other hunters weekly (on private land).

And at night I would come out of some woods as the Coon hunters were coming in with there dogs.

Then one day I had the squirrel hunters coming by as I was sitting for hours on a great spot.

Then we can't forget that all our woods have turkey and we have a ton of turkey hunters now that pop guns off in April in the deep woods.

I guess it is amazing any animal gets rest anymore...lol
Old 12-15-2011, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

I agree, not sure if i would call it a smart gene but, the ones that have been with a group that had been fired on learn, when and where this is happening. Even the yearlings and they begin to pattern hunters, just as we pattern them. As they learn our hunting spots, stands scents, whatever they begin to avoid those area's at those times and that trains the young to do so.

Then this creates their new pattern on being in early and coming out late and avoiding certain spots at the daylight hours. Just keeps getting added to and passed down from year to year from doe to fawn. most will adhere to a pattern taught to them by their mother.

There used to be so much poaching in my area, that now a days, you will hardly ever see a deer standing in any field within sight of a road. If you get back to the corners or spots you can not see from a car, you have a good spot. I have yet to have deer pattern me in one of my stands in the middle of some acorns, that or they like the acorns more than their life.

That stand has produced 2 booners and 4 P&Y bucks. I do not shoot doe from this stand but man are they everywhere. I only hunt it when the wind is right and when i go, I am there from 1hour before to about an hour after dark. I try to make sure most have moved to the fields before coming out.

Last edited by Boonechaser; 12-15-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
200, 300, and 600 acre tracts of land are not that big...especially if it butts up against land that other people hunt. You don't know what they might be doing.

There plenty big enough, no matter what your neighbors are doing. Just like they pattern us and our habits, they know where the pressure is and not. They will move from the neighbors to your property, and as long as you do not pressure too hard. it will make them feel safe, again.

The places I hunt have heavy pressure from neighboring property and not so much on mine. I know where the deer are, and use the wind to my advantage in deciding where to hunt. I always see the doe and if you wait long enough, the bucks are always goin to be where the doe are, eventually.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Boonechaser
I agree, not sure if i would call it a smart gene but, the ones that have been with a group that had been fired on learn, when and where this is happening. Even the yearlings and they begin to pattern hunters, just as we pattern them. As they learn our hunting spots, stands scents, whatever they begin to avoid those area's at those times and that trains the young to do so.

Then this creates their new pattern on being in early and coming out late and avoiding certain spots at the daylight hours. Just keeps getting added to and passed down from year to year from doe to fawn. most will adhere to a pattern taught to them by their mother.

There used to be so much poaching in my area, that now a days, you will hardly ever see a deer standing in any field within sight of a road. If you get back to the corners or spots you can not see from a car, you have a good spot. I have yet to have deer pattern me in one of my stands in the middle of some acorns, that or they like the acorns more than their life.

That stand has produced 2 booners and 4 P&Y bucks. I do not shoot doe from this stand but man are they everywhere. I only hunt it when the wind is right and when i go, I am there from 1hour before to about an hour after dark. I try to make sure most have moved to the fields before coming out.
I agree with you on this one Totally. I guess I did'nt explain Myself good in My Opening Statement. Oh the Deer are still around but some of Our Propertys Border the Village, and the Deer know it's Safe there so that's where they go during the Day, then when it's Dark they come to the Corn Fields and Feed all night, then say around 5am there back in the Village where it's Safe. The Deer used to hang on our Properties, they were'nt pressured much as we Hunt different Farms and Parcels throught the Season, but now it seems if you Take a Deer or two it's over and there out of there back to Places they cant be Hunted.
Sure we catch some here and there but they Learn Quick where it's Not Safe.
It'e even worse this Year as Our Weather has been Exceptionally Warm, Windy and Rainy, with NO SNOW wich is Unusuall. We usually have Feet of Snow and Temps from 0-20 Degreese. The Deer Had To Feed when it was like this and they were in the Corn and Soybean Fields and feeding in the Afternoon or even mid day. With the Warm Weather and No Snow the Deer have it made this Season, there's Plenty of Browse and Grasses to eat while there Hiding in them Secure Safe Places, no need to venture out for food.
True Hunters on other Properties that border our Land really pound the Deer Hard and the pressure form them is enough to send them to places where there safe.
The Deer Herd here has learned to go where they cant be Hunted no matter how Low the Pressure is or not. Like I said befor My Buddys and I Live to Hunt Deer, we consider ourselves Great Deer Hunters, but the Deer just Learn to Quick and Pass that on to there Young and so on. I dont Blame them, I would too. And Yes I Love the Hunt and dont expect it to be Easy, if it was it would'nt be any Fun. But when I get to a Corn Field in the Morning and see Hundreds of Fresh Tracks in the Field with My Flashlight, and Spotted 30-60 Deer in the Field the Night befor, then Hunt there all day from Sun up to Sun Down and dont see a single Deer that gets tough. And like I said these Places are Not Pressured that much at all, we play the Wind right and dont go into the Bedding Areas, then as Legal Hunting time ends and you can still see into the Fields the Deer start to come out. And we wont Drive the Deer because we dont shoot at Running Deer, plus if we drove them then they would'nt come out untill Midnight.
(BP)
Old 12-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

BP..........you have a strange love affair with your cap key. :P
Old 12-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
BP..........you have a strange love affair with your cap key. :P
I know....I just like to make certain words stand out more, I figured it added more meaning to the word, it's Not Workin?
(BP)
Old 12-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

it's Not Workin?
Somewhat distracting.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Breechplug
I know....I just like to make certain words stand out more, I figured it added more meaning to the word, it's Not Workin?
(BP)
It upsets the flow. I think of a word capped as the start of a new sentence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.