Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New to Black Powder >

New to Black Powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New to Black Powder

Old 12-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the ML world and as bronko22000 said, this is a great place to gain knowledge and a great group of people on here share a wealth of both knowledge and BS!!!! LMAO!!!

Hey Bronko, doesn't CO have a limitation on pellets vs loose powder and sight restrictions, iron vs scope? That and what type of ignition system, 209 vs #11 cap?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

The fact is in Colorado during the M/L season the gentleman has to use a conical of some sort, be it a PB,thor,FPB or pure lead.Knight rifles are fine conical shooters, be it lead or other wise.if i lived in colorado my choice of rifle would be a Knight. either the disc extreme or the bighorn, since they both come equipped with iron sights, which is also a Colorado requirement during there M/L season.with that being said the omega or optima either one would be a good choice, if the poster wants to shoot a FPB or thor style conical and not pure lead..
Old 12-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Living where you live and what you are restricted to, I would get a used White Rifle. A .50 caliber model 97 or a Super 91 would be my choice. Because of the open ignition rule, a Model 97 would be my pick. They are the best conical shooting rifles I have ever handled. I own three of them.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:40 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
50cal minimum on elk for CO.

Not many use a muzzleloader during rifle season. The only fool i ever ran into that was using his muzzy during 3rd season bull hunt was me
Your not the only Fool MD, I use My MLer through our Rifle Season, I get Razzed by all My Buddys for it but in the end I Always take as many if not more Deer than they do. I know it really Pi$$es them off but I just like to RUB it in. If your a Real Hunter and take only the Best Shot offered to You then a MLer is all you'll ever need to Hunt with.
Now on the Topic of wich MLer to get.....heck I have owned the Least Expensive CVA's, a $99 CVA Stag Horn, it put Many a Deer in the Freezer and shot just as good as a $500 one, sure it had some Blow Back, but it's a MLer, Clean it and Shoot it.
I could Buy just about any MLer out there and make it shoot good and take Deer with it, back in the days when I was a Pool Shark I could use a Broom and Beat the best of the Guys playing Pool using it.
I dont care how Expensive of a MLer you own or how good it can shoot, your not going to get any more Deer with it than a Lesser Expensive one if Your Not a Good Deer Hunter. I've taken Deer with My Bear Bow that was made in 1968, and Deer with a Recurve, using a Compound Bow was even Easier, now to be able to use a Gun, a MLer that will shoot with Flatter Trajectory and be able to take a Deer further than 50yds with it, what else could you ask for......
Any MLer on the Market today is good enough to use for what you need to do, buy the one You Like, find the Load that it shoots the Best and Go Hunting. As Long as it puts em in a tight group that's all you'll need. If you want to Look FANCY and Impress all your Friends with your Expensive MLer then Buy a Expensive One, but it wont get you any More Deer than a Less Expensive one, that one is up to You.
And those Guys that LOST those Deer with a BOW made a BAD SHOT, it Was'nt the BOW's Fault, it was the Shooters. Shooting a Bow or a MLer makes you a Better Hunter, You know you only have 1 Shot and you better take your Best and only good 1 Shot, if not your not going to be Happy. Why would anyone need more than 1 Shot anyway, when I pull the Trigger on a MLer or I Release the Arrow on My Bow I know My Shot will be True, if I had any Doubt I would'nt have taken the Shot.
I shoot Nothing But CVA's, You get as Much if Not More for Your Money than the other MLer's out there. It all boils down to what you like, Buy it, sight it in and Go Hunting, but Remember to Have a Blast!
(BP)
Old 12-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

What Breechplug said.

The cheap muzzleloaders are as accurate and reliable as the expensive ones. i use my muzzleloader during deer gun season. The vast majority of my hog hunting is with a muzzleloader too.

My New Years resolution will be to hog hunt with a muzzleloader at least two days every week in 2012.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
What Breechplug said.

The cheap muzzleloaders are as accurate and reliable as the expensive ones. i use my muzzleloader during deer gun season. The vast majority of my hog hunting is with a muzzleloader too.

My New Years resolution will be to hog hunt with a muzzleloader at least two days every week in 2012.
Well Said Falcon, Your First Shot should Always be your one and only Best Shot, if you cant take em with a MLer with one shot then.....whell I guess you can answer the rest..........
(BP)
Old 12-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Colorado is a conical state: with the Dream Season if that is your choice is a fine rifle with Hornady FPB 300 or 350 grain and a load of 90 grains of Blackhorn powder will do the job on any of your game. I have had better results with the 350 grain for accuracy in my TC guns. I also prefer the Triumph as the best all round hunting gun as it is reasonably light and short and very dependable.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Not true at all. My Colorado trip next year is with a saboted bullet and it's legal during rifle season.

Not sure what the regulations are in ML season.
It is true if you'd bother to read the OP's post, instead of puffing yourself up.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
It is true if you'd bother to read the OP's post, instead of puffing yourself up.
No, you need to read all the posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.