Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
what percentage (cost of the gun to cost of scope) do you spend on an scope >

what percentage (cost of the gun to cost of scope) do you spend on an scope

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

what percentage (cost of the gun to cost of scope) do you spend on an scope

Old 12-06-2011, 04:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't look at is as a percentage to the price of a gun...

My deer rifles wear Leupolds, VX-Is so they ran $200-250 if I remember right...

My curly maple 541-T wears a compact Leupold VX-I 3x9x33...

I don't own any other scopes...I did have a Bushnell ScopeChief on my .243 but that scope was a $130 scope in 1980...I replaced it with the Leupold in the mid to late 90s and that's when I found out the difference between a decent scope and a good scope...

I have buddies that have Nikon ProStaffs on their rifles...I have shot them and they seem OK...They run around $150, I wouldn't go cheaper than that on a gun I plan to use for deer...
Old 12-06-2011, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

My first muzzle loader and the one I still have, I spent $150 on the gun used from a friend and he left the Weaver steel rings on it for me. Then I spent $30 on the scope which is a Tasco Bucksight from Walmart. So 20% of the cost.

However, on my next muzzle loader which was the Genesis I got when they had an awesome deal at Cabelas, I ended up spending $100 total on the gun. The rings were $30 or so though, but since I got those as a gift I'm not going to count them in the cost of the gun. The scope I mounted on it was a Leupold VX-I that I'd already had and it cost me $230. So It was 230%.

On my centerfires it's a totally different story. I usually go with scopes in the $200-600 price range so depending on what I spend on a gun I've sometimes spent more on the scope than the gun, and sometimes more on the gun. The tactical scope I use costs a lot more than I normally would spend on hunting scopes.

That said, I've used cheap scopes, and I've had better luck with them than many guys online seem to have and think they are better than some of them make them out to be. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to go with a cheap scope if it's all I could afford and my choices were either it or open sights. However, if I could afford it, I'd spend the $180 or so on a Burris Fullfield II. The difference is large enough that it's a worthwhile upgrade. I've used some $150-250 scopes that I don't think are much if any of an improvement over $30-50 scopes I've used. However, the Burris certainly is. IMO it's the best buy until you step up to the Zeiss Conquest for $400. It's got slightly better glass and better turrets, but it's over doublet he price, and the differences in the glass are very small.

If I was to rescope my muzzle loader a FFII would be going on there, but as long as the Tasco keeps working, I hate to change it, especially since this old gun has a lot of good memories with that scope.

Last edited by slowr1der; 12-06-2011 at 05:04 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I was to rescope my muzzle loader a FFII would be going on there, but as long as the Tasco keeps working, I hate to change it, especially since this old gun has a lot of good memories with that scope
if it is not broke don't fix it. I have had alot luck with that same bucksight, every time I have lost zero it was some type of other issue other then scope.

I most likely won't spend all my budget on the rifle/scope combo. I just can bring my self to spend as much on an scope as I do an gun. center fire or muzzleloaders. I have an cheap a$$ bsa on my 96/22. that combo shoots circles around all my other guns. I would not put bsa scope on anything but an 22lr.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

For some of us there is no relationship between the gun and the cost of the scope, It depends on what each will be used for. At a guess I spend about half of what I spend on a gun for the scope.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Genesis which cost me 199 and a put a Leupold Ultimate Slam on it that cost 230. My thinking is I can always put my scope on a new muzzleloader when I get one.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

I spent more on the scope than the ML. All the modern inlines shoot good.....as long as we do our part. and these days my eyes need all the help they can get. Plus where I hunt pressure is high so my opportunities are at low light, good glass can give a few extra precious minutes.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Corey if you get the chance to look at the Vortex line of scopes I would do it. These are great scopes for the buck and you will get a lot more value than you might believe. I have replaced all of my Leupolds with there optics and haven't regretted it one bit.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your patient you can buy some nice scopes on Ebay for almost half their retail price. I bought 2 different Nikon Monarchs on Ebay and each one was under $200 NIB.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I buy higher quality scopes for all my guns now...I'd say at least 50% of the cost of the gun or more. My main rifle I paid $320 for new in '87....and $350 for the scope thats on it now about 8yrs later.
Another good line that are not as well known are Sightron. Very nice scopes, and I actually have one of those on my mk. Most of my guns have Leupolds.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 AM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-27-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.