Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
In Season cleaning >

In Season cleaning

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

In Season cleaning

Old 12-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Spike

Default In Season cleaning

Hi guys. I am a 2-3 times a day reader but I seldom post. I have learned a great deal in my short 3-4 year muzzleloading career.

I have a two part question.

1) When I load for a hunt with a clean barrel, I snap a couple of primers to foul the barrel before I load. I may leave the gun with a charge for a couple of days. Question, is the primer residue corrosive?

2) If my ML has been loaded for a couple of days and I know that I will not be hunting for a couple of days I will discharge the gun. Why? I just love shooting the gun. I will then dry patch and then run a few wet patches of Montana Extreme Cowboy Blend. Then a couple of dry patches. The last dry patch is spotless. Question, if I know that I will be hunting in a couple of days, is it necessary or is it recommended that I run a patch of oil through the bore, even though I will be loading up in a day or two?

I am using B209
Old 12-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

From everything I have seen and read.....

Primer residue is not corrosive

No need to oil a clean barrel unless you are going to store it for any length of time. More than a month, I would oil.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Boonechaser
From everything I have seen and read.....

Primer residue is not corrosive

No need to oil a clean barrel unless you are going to store it for any length of time. More than a month, I would oil.
+1 I agree
Old 12-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off have you ever tested to see where Your MLer hits on a Clean Barrel, then shot a couple of more times to see where they hit? If a Fouled Bore is needed for a good first shot then by all means do it, but if you dont have to then dont bother. I got lucky with My ACCURA, it will shoot the same with a Fouled or Clean Barrel.
Primers dont Corrode, there not Black Powder, if you Pop a Couple of Primers and Hunt for a few days you should be fine, but I do find that a Stainless Steel Barrel vs a Blued Steel Barrel there will be some differences in how they clean up, but corrosive wise you'll be OK.
I use Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner in My SS Barrel, I have shot a Deer, Reoaded it and Hunted for a week or more to then Clean it and it came out Spotless.
Our Hunting Seasons Weather this Year has Been Warm and A-Lot of Rain, I Hunted in the Pouring Rain for 4 times, My MLer was Soaked to the Bone, I figured I'd take it apart, push out the Load and see how it was. I do use a Piece of masking Tape over the end of the Barrel to keep out the Rain and Moisture, I cut a Piece about the size of a Quarter, and wrap it around the end of the Barrel, it stays on through the Rain with No Problem, Does'nt come off and keeps the Inside of the Barrel Completele DRY.
After the 4 Days of Pouring Rain the Inside of My MLer was like New and Dry and Shinny as could be, there was No Need to take it apart, but now I know and have a good piece of Mind as to what it can take.
If I were you I'd try the Masking Tape on the end of the Barrel, then even if you have already Popped a Few Primers through it you should be good. I try and Not run any Wet Patches through My Barrel like you do after you Pop the Primers, ya just never know if the Powder could get wet from the Oil.
I Clean My MLer Barrel, run a couple of Patches of Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner through it, let it stand for a Hour or so, then run a couple of Dry patches through it, Load it, put the Masking Tape over it and Im good, even if I shot it, I'll just reload, NO Patches through it and do the Masking Tape and Im Good.
I have also Hunted in Sub Zero Temps with My MLer done like this Both ways and have taken in and out of the Cold and back into the Heat and out agian and again, it's Always Fired and there's No harm done to My Barrel. But as I mentioned above a SS Barrel is by far the Better Barrel over a Blued Steel Barrel, you will have to just see what you can and cant do with what you have.
Good Luck!
(BP)
Old 12-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Moder American primers are not corrosive. I have gotten a hold of some foreign military primers that were they created a problem that took me a lot of work to clean up.