Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Looking for a decent muzzy. >

Looking for a decent muzzy.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking for a decent muzzy.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Looking for a decent muzzy.

I have decided that I need a new rifle, soon.
To extend my hunting seasons. I have further decided that the new rifle will be a muzzle loader.
What I haven't decided is what brand to purchase. I know next to nothing about them, other than they are fun to shoot.

I am looking for something in the less than $450.00 market. I have seen CVA Wolf models for less than this but haven't seen anything here about that model. I have also found T/C models for under this ranges as well.

What do you shooters prefer, and why?
Old 11-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Banned

The Wolf is truly a hidden gem in a small package and price. I actually shot a scary group with mine and a cheap $50 scope. If you can spend some extra, i'd check out the Optima or the Accura V2.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm fairly limited to what I can spend. Since I don't want to have to trade in any of my other guns. I have heard that the Optima was a good gun. Though I will check out the Accura.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems to me that you should consider a rifle like this wood stocked Omega, which is a rifle you will not need to upgrade from, down the road. For the money, you may not be able to find a better rifle. Check the quantities there; they are selling.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:58 AM
Typical Buck

Check the classifieds here, there is a great buy or two on a Mountaineer.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
It seems to me that you should consider a rifle like this wood stocked Omega, which is a rifle you will not need to upgrade from, down the road. For the money, you may not be able to find a better rifle. Check the quantities there; they are selling.
That is a good deal.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

I compared the T/C Impact and the CVA Wolf last week at my local Basspro. (both black and blue, $250 vs $220).

The T/C is a little longer and slightly more barrel heavy. The CVA should carry all day; lighter that any long gun I have ever used, except maybe a 410 single shot shotgun.

The stock on the T/C has a semi-beaver tail forestock, and an adjustable buttstock with the correct drop for a scope. It shouldered very comfortably. The CVA has a bit more drop, and makes looking through the scope decrease your cheek contact (the ones at the store had a scope mount installed and no sights). The T/C came with sights.

Both had rebounding hammers (neither had safeties), but the rest of the actions were very different in execution, although both were break open guns.

The CVA had the tool-less breech plug QRBP; the T/C needed a tool.

In the end, I decided to stay with what I have, given how well it shoots, and all I have invested in stuff to use with it that would not work with the 209 break open guns (meaning I would have to buy new accoutrements).

However, if I was starting from scratch, both look like great choices.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:55 AM
Spike

T/C Omega
I love mine
Old 12-01-2011, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
+2, that's a crazy good deal and would get my vote for a 1st (and possibly last) ML. Only thing to beat that would be an Omega X7 (there are two on GunBroker for around $350 - you didn't hear that from me).
Old 12-01-2011, 07:09 AM
Dominant Buck

I think I would look at the Mountaineer in the classified adds here. For the price it is a steal. The top of the line Knight for that kind of money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.