Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Reason for  slow rut activity, this year >

Reason for slow rut activity, this year

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Reason for slow rut activity, this year

Old 11-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Reason for slow rut activity, this year

The bucks are going interspecies

http://www.huntvids.com/video/3103/b...t-on-with-girl
Old 11-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our Bow Season saw NO RUT activity this Year, it was the Worst ever! Our Gun Season started on Nov 16th, No Rut Activity. This last Saturday, Nov 26th I saw Bucks Chasing Does, Buck Rubbung Trees and Bucks going through the woods Grunting, Unbelieveable! I Passed on a Nice 8 Pointer that I had in front of Me for over 15 Minutes, He was all Fired Up! Rubbing Trees and Chasing Does and Grunting Like Crazy, I should have too Him. I also saw 2 other Bucks doing the same thing and this is Way Past the Normal Rut, I blame our Warmer than Normal November and October. If it does'nt Snow By Dec 2nd this will set a New Record for NO Snow Fall for us here in Western New York (Northern Chautauqua County)
You can believe Me or not on this one but the other night I went to Pick up My Wifes Buck She shot on Opening Day, it was 6:30 at Night and I spotted a deer in the Middle of the road, I quickly slowed down. As I got closer I saw it was a Buck, the closer I got He did'nt move, finally he just took a step.
I pulled up along side of Him expecting Him to run away and He did'nt, he just stayed there, I then noticed He was looking at a Doe that was standing in the Woods just on the other side of the Ditch. I was stopped along side of the Buck and He did'nt even acknowledge I was there, My Truck was a mear 2 feet from His Hind end. I rolled down My Window and shut off My Radio expecting Him to run away and He just stayed there looking at the Doe, I could'nt Believe this! I could have slapped Him on His A$$ If I wanted to, I was there for about 10-15 seconds when He finally turned to look Eye To Eye to Me.......I said (HI) He then Exploded and ran off into the woods.........
Now mabey this would have been a Fluke, but like I said a couple of Days befor this the Bucks were in Full RUT, I've Never seen anything like this or so Late befor ever. Our Late Rut Does'nt usually start untill Late ML Season as usually tales place around Dec 12th. I wonder when our Late Rut will be.
The Weatherman said tonight he does'nt expect us to get any real Snow untill Dec 16th, our Late ML Season ends on Dec 20th. So Much for Snow this Season.....I've Never seen it so Late..........
(BP)
Old 11-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thought it was a bit different this year our rut started the second week of Oct. I got my buck the begining of the second week on a scrape. It was over by the 8th of Nov. This is out of the norm.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

I about hit a rutting doe last night. She started to cross the road, got into my lane, then looked back to Mister. I blasted the horn and road the ABS, and she barely moved as I passed here on the right. Fortunately, Mister stayed put.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

It has been the toughest year I can remember and the heat did not help either here in MO. This map pretty much sums up what is going on and I do agree with it.

http://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?ca...3Bcat109817280

Our MZ season starts Dec 17-27. Did not see anything during gun season Nov 12-22 and nothing during anterless Nov 23-Dec 4(will not hunt last weekend). I hope mid Dec we get snow and they should be rutting hard. Got a buck and doe tag and a few extra doe tags as we are unlimited on doe tags here. Should be fun and taking a newbie as well.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't think the buck can find any doe to breed....! My friend hunted Mon thru Wed, dawn to dark and didn't see nary a tail.