Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
why does my gun shoot shoot inconsistent? >

why does my gun shoot shoot inconsistent?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

why does my gun shoot shoot inconsistent?

Old 11-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default why does my gun shoot shoot inconsistent?

I dont get it, why does it shoot without a repeatable pattern? I do everything the same on every load. 120 gr bh209, win primer, Barnes 250gr tez. I clean between shoots and about every 3 shots I drill bit the flash hole on the triumph. I also tried and the shockwave with black sabot, same result.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by outdoorsmen
I dont get it, why does it shoot without a repeatable pattern? I do everything the same on every load. 120 gr bh209, win primer, Barnes 250gr tez. I clean between shoots and about every 3 shots I drill bit the flash hole on the triumph. I also tried and the shockwave with black sabot, same result.
when i first got my encore i went thrugh the same kind of problem .IMO it was the easy load was bord off center . after it was removed it got better.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

I have noticed that there are some bullets that load easy and some are hard, all from the same pack. Why would that be? Inconsistent sabots? Or bullet molding?
Old 11-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Banned

bullet casting IMO. Someone on another forum was having this issue with one bullet loading hard and the next loading easy and his accuracy sucked. Personally i'd drop down to 100-110gr BH209.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well one reason very well may be the fact that your shooting a max load of BH209 and swabbing between shots. try starting at 90 gr BH, without swabbing between shots. shoot a 3 or 5 bullet group and see what you get. then up the charge 5 gr and repeat, until you find the sweet spot for your rifle.the sabot can also have a lot to do with accuracy, are you using the supplied sabot with the TEZ bullets? my Triumph tack drives .250 gr TEZ bullets with the supplied sabots.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have noticed that there are some bullets that load easy and some are hard, all from the same pack. Why would that be? Inconsistent sabots? Or bullet molding?
i have never had this problem, when shooting Bh209. remember do not swab between shots with BH209.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

One of the most accurate bullets I have shot are the Harvester 260 gold I have over 100 shot's without a flier..I use the MMP 3Petal-EZ this has worked as a base line accuracy in several different guns...

I would try lower powder like suggested and if that doesnt work try a different bullet. I bet 100gr and she will tighten up...
Old 11-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

With any break open it could be as simple as where you put the front rest on the barrel and the different harmonics that you might create in that barrel.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the replys. i've been shooting from a lead sled so the forearm rest is the same. i may drop to 100-110.

why not swab between? i figured that since i will hunting on a clean barrel i should sight in on a clean barrel.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:04 AM
Fork Horn

I was taught many years ago by a person who shot black powder in competition that you always want to fire a fouling shot just before target shooting, hunting, etc. In my experience at the range now, the first shot on a clean barrel is many times well off of the rest of the groups. If I'm practicing on the range with Powerbelts and 80 gr. of powder, I only need to swab every 4 to 5 shots; I can feel when it needs to be done when loading the projectile.

I would also suggest that you try less powder. When I'm shooting 295 gr. Powerbelts for hunting, I use just 80 gr. Triple Seven. Trust me, that 80 gr. does a LOT of damage to a deer! I would suggest you start at 80 gr. and start moving up 5 to 10 gr. at a time til you find out what works best in your combination of rifle, powder and projectile.

As an aside, once you have everything figured out and just want to do some plinking, reduce your powder load to 40 gr. You will be amazed at how little difference there is at point of impact between 80 and 40 grains at 50 yards. I use that load with a patched roundball to practice sight picture, trigger control, breathing etc.; it's a lot cheaper to shoot and a lot easier on the shoulder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.