Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
top 5 bullets for the avg. hunter >

top 5 bullets for the avg. hunter

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

top 5 bullets for the avg. hunter

Old 11-28-2011, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Judging by over all sales, the list might be very different from region to region in our country. Some need long distance projectiles, others short distance heavy woods, others are moderate distance with some open area.

So for me, my personal list of projectiles I use;

Roundball
Conicals
XTPs 300 grain
Scorpion 260 grain funnel nose
Powerbelt 295 grain

and that list might be totally different next year. Good question there..

Very true about different areas using different bullets. I don't know of anyone using PRB for example- even the guys with traditional rifles tend to use Powerbelts or XTPs. I'd estimate that locally about 80% of the hunters use PB's, XTP's or SST/Shockwaves.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Around where I hunt with the large group of guys I hunt with, I'd say Shockwaves are probably the most popular most used bullet, followed by a couple of guys using Deep Curls, 2 using Powerbelts that I know of, and a couple using Knight branded bullets and a couple using XTP's sometimes, but Shockwaves at others. Most all of us have tried the Powerbelts and switched to something else. The Shockwaves really seem to be the most common by far though. I've found that a lot of the guys around here really like you to be able to buy your choice of bullet at Walmart as that's the only big store nearby and where most of them buy their bullets.

I have several friends in an area closer to where I live, but don't hunt, and a couple of them use Powerbelts and a couple use Shockwaves, but I don't know many guys in that area to judge on what they use. I know 2 that use each.

That said, I've never met anyone who shoots round balls other than the guys on this forum. Not saying it's a bad thing, just that I don't know anyone that uses them, so I'd be surprised to see them being one of the top sellers.

Last edited by slowr1der; 11-28-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Spike

We have had several performance issues with the shock waves over the past couple of years - We shoot alot of deer here in West Michigan - Were trying to get the buck doe ratio in line - My son & I have taken 4 this year alone. I cant say weather its a quality control issue or what. We have taken several deer with the SW some with no issues & quite good performance but more & more the bullets are going thru without any sign of expantion at all with the deer traveling several hundred yards before expiring. Anyone else seeing these trends in your camp?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

This would be my top five.

1. .452/300gr Deep Curl
2. .430/256gr FTX
3. .430/300gr XTP
4. .452/250gr Shockwave
5. .452/300gr XTP
Old 11-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a personal top three, which are all I use.

Deep Curls or XTPs
Round Balls
Old 11-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Banned

For me:

Thor
Round ball
The rest is for fun.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:15 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-27-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

The question wasn't what you use, or think is the best. The question is what do you think the average hunter uses.

If you don't have a PB on your list. You're not thinking. It's still the most popular bullet sold. What you read on forums is a very small sample of the 2 million ML hunters.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:29 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-27-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not defending PB's. I'm just answering the question.

Someone may get sold PB's the first year they bought them. How about the 2nd year? Too many are sold for it to be just first timers.

The answer is...............they kill game.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.