HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Mountaineer Breechplug (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/354388-mountaineer-breechplug.html)

Boonechaser 11-26-2011 04:59 PM

Mountaineer Breechplug

Does any one use Teflon tape on there BP in the Mountaineer. I always use tape in my TC guns and have never had an issue. I have read Josh's story of messing his threads up and when i tried to tape mine, it was very hard going. So, i backed out the plug and am scared to try it.

Is this the BO issue that some speak of or am i just being over cautious? I really want to use tape, what do you guys think?

Use it and see or take josh's story to heart and be unhappy?

onetohunt 11-26-2011 05:10 PM

I use grease on mine. The tolerances are so tight with those BP that even with grease they are very snug.

riversmokepole 11-26-2011 05:14 PM

Is that you EndeavorShooter ?

sabotloader 11-26-2011 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Boonechaser (Post 3881710)
Does any one use Teflon tape on there BP in the Mountaineer. I always use tape in my TC guns and have never had an issue. I have read Josh's story of messing his threads up and when i tried to tape mine, it was very hard going. So, i backed out the plug and am scared to try it.

Is this the BO issue that some speak of or am i just being over cautious? I really want to use tape, what do you guys think?

Use it and see or take josh's story to heart and be unhappy?

I tape mine, in fact just got through taping one and installing it in a new Moutaineer. The only reason I use tape is that I still shoot T7 if you are shooting BH probably not a need for it.

One of the keys to taping a plug sucessfully is using one wrap of tape on the plug and then pushing the tape down into the threads as you are turning with a ratchet. If you double wrap or create to much tape especially on the nose of the plug where there is a possibility that you might cross thread the plug when installing it.

It would be my suggestion to clean the threads in the bore and on on the BP, then insert the bare plug and turn it in clean. That will give you an ideal of how tight the plug might be.

If in doubt use white tape and make sure you install in the correct direction so that it does not ball up as you are turning it in.

Tape is all I have been using for years...

This drawing is an attempt to explain what and how I seal the plug off. I also think it is important to snug the pug up against the barrel shelf to squeeze the tape but not so tight that it tears the tape. Most importantly do not leave it loose or back-it-off a bit as is often suggested.

Here is an old pictorial of wrapping a plug. I also should tell you most often the tape does not come back out if the gun intact on the BP as the last picture shows. You will need a bore brush inserted into the breech threads and then turned counter clockwise to pull the old tape out.

This is probably a better picture set…

Boonechaser 11-26-2011 05:31 PM

Thanks sabotloader, I will give that a try. I may have been applying to much at the barrel end. I will see if that makes it easier. I can install with bp tool by fingers only with no tape. But when I wraped it, it was way too tight. I think I may have double wrapped it at the beginning and I know I didn't press into the threads.

I wrapped it like I do my tc's without any problem as onetohunt says the knight may have tighter tolerances but my threads on them look the same as the knight.

riversmokepole 11-26-2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Boonechaser (Post 3881727)
Thanks sabotloader, I will give that a try. I may have been applying to much at the barrel end. I will see if that makes it easier. I can install with bp tool by fingers only with no tape. But when I wraped it, it was way too tight. I think I may have double wrapped it at the beginning and I know I didn't press into the threads.

I wrapped it like I do my tc's without any problem as onetohunt says the knight may have tighter tolerances but my threads on them look the same as the knight.

You should really try to find something else other than the Knight you bought to talk about
Your busted Endeavor Shooter

Boonechaser 11-26-2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by riversmokepole (Post 3881721)
Is that you EndeavorShooter ?

Wait I am confused, I thought you was endeavorshooter? I seen a post once where someone said he got an pm saying you and endeavorshooter was the same.

riversmokepole 11-26-2011 05:36 PM

At least dont post on other forums about your Knight and then come over here again after you were banned with a differant name

riversmokepole 11-26-2011 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Boonechaser (Post 3881733)
Wait I am confused, I thought you was endeavorshooter? I seen a post once where someone said he got an pm saying you and endeavorshooter was the same.

That was way before you became a forum member !!!!

Boonechaser 11-26-2011 05:57 PM

Don't have to be a member to read the threads. But, glad you are the forum detective.