HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Mountaineer Breechplug (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/354388-mountaineer-breechplug.html)

Boonechaser 11-26-2011 04:59 PM

Mountaineer Breechplug

Does any one use Teflon tape on there BP in the Mountaineer. I always use tape in my TC guns and have never had an issue. I have read Josh's story of messing his threads up and when i tried to tape mine, it was very hard going. So, i backed out the plug and am scared to try it.

Is this the BO issue that some speak of or am i just being over cautious? I really want to use tape, what do you guys think?

Use it and see or take josh's story to heart and be unhappy?

onetohunt 11-26-2011 05:10 PM

I use grease on mine. The tolerances are so tight with those BP that even with grease they are very snug.

riversmokepole 11-26-2011 05:14 PM

Is that you EndeavorShooter ?

sabotloader 11-26-2011 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Boonechaser (Post 3881710)
Does any one use Teflon tape on there BP in the Mountaineer. I always use tape in my TC guns and have never had an issue. I have read Josh's story of messing his threads up and when i tried to tape mine, it was very hard going. So, i backed out the plug and am scared to try it.

Is this the BO issue that some speak of or am i just being over cautious? I really want to use tape, what do you guys think?

Use it and see or take josh's story to heart and be unhappy?

I tape mine, in fact just got through taping one and installing it in a new Moutaineer. The only reason I use tape is that I still shoot T7 if you are shooting BH probably not a need for it.

One of the keys to taping a plug sucessfully is using one wrap of tape on the plug and then pushing the tape down into the threads as you are turning with a ratchet. If you double wrap or create to much tape especially on the nose of the plug where there is a possibility that you might cross thread the plug when installing it.

It would be my suggestion to clean the threads in the bore and on on the BP, then insert the bare plug and turn it in clean. That will give you an ideal of how tight the plug might be.

If in doubt use white tape and make sure you install in the correct direction so that it does not ball up as you are turning it in.

Tape is all I have been using for years...

This drawing is an attempt to explain what and how I seal the plug off. I also think it is important to snug the pug up against the barrel shelf to squeeze the tape but not so tight that it tears the tape. Most importantly do not leave it loose or back-it-off a bit as is often suggested.

Here is an old pictorial of wrapping a plug. I also should tell you most often the tape does not come back out if the gun intact on the BP as the last picture shows. You will need a bore brush inserted into the breech threads and then turned counter clockwise to pull the old tape out.

This is probably a better picture set…

Boonechaser 11-26-2011 05:31 PM

Thanks sabotloader, I will give that a try. I may have been applying to much at the barrel end. I will see if that makes it easier. I can install with bp tool by fingers only with no tape. But when I wraped it, it was way too tight. I think I may have double wrapped it at the beginning and I know I didn't press into the threads.

I wrapped it like I do my tc's without any problem as onetohunt says the knight may have tighter tolerances but my threads on them look the same as the knight.

riversmokepole 11-26-2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Boonechaser (Post 3881727)
Thanks sabotloader, I will give that a try. I may have been applying to much at the barrel end. I will see if that makes it easier. I can install with bp tool by fingers only with no tape. But when I wraped it, it was way too tight. I think I may have double wrapped it at the beginning and I know I didn't press into the threads.

I wrapped it like I do my tc's without any problem as onetohunt says the knight may have tighter tolerances but my threads on them look the same as the knight.

You should really try to find something else other than the Knight you bought to talk about
Your busted Endeavor Shooter

Boonechaser 11-26-2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by riversmokepole (Post 3881721)

Wait I am confused, I thought you was endeavorshooter? I seen a post once where someone said he got an pm saying you and endeavorshooter was the same.

riversmokepole 11-26-2011 05:36 PM

At least dont post on other forums about your Knight and then come over here again after you were banned with a differant name

riversmokepole 11-26-2011 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Boonechaser (Post 3881733)
Wait I am confused, I thought you was endeavorshooter? I seen a post once where someone said he got an pm saying you and endeavorshooter was the same.

That was way before you became a forum member !!!!

Boonechaser 11-26-2011 05:57 PM

Don't have to be a member to read the threads. But, glad you are the forum detective.

riversmokepole 11-26-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Boonechaser (Post 3881746)
Don't have to be a member to read the threads. But, glad you are the forum detective.

Your Busted EndeavorShooter

Boonechaser 11-26-2011 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by riversmokepole (Post 3881734)
At least dont post on other forums about your Knight and then come over here again after you were banned with a differant name

Knight must really doing bad, if they have only sold one rifle. Get a life!!

ronlaughlin 11-26-2011 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by riversmokepole (Post 3881748)

You meant to write, " You're busted Endeavorshooter."

Sorry, i tried, but i couldn't keep from typing.

riversmokepole 11-26-2011 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 3881756)
You meant to write, " You're busted Endeavorshooter."

Sorry, i tried, but i couldn't keep from typing.

exactly what I meant

josh...just josh 11-26-2011 06:48 PM

well I don't know (or care) who is or isn't endeavorshooter, but when I had my problem with my breechplug I was using pink tape. The pink tape worked great in my knight disc, but it seems to be too thick for the mountaineer. I tried grease after I got it back from knight, but I can't take the mess.

FYI I just tried white tape and it works great!

sabotloader 11-26-2011 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by josh...just josh (Post 3881762)
well I don't know (or care) who is or isn't endeavorshooter, but when I had my problem with my breechplug I was using pink tape. The pink tape worked great in my knight disc, but it seems to be too thick for the mountaineer. I tried grease after I got it back from knight, but I can't take the mess.

Not that it matters... but I agree with you - i tried pink at first in my mountaineer and decided it was to thick - so moved down to white and have no problem at all with the plug going in smoothly.

In my older Knights 4 of them I use pink and two other use white, so it is never a guarantee which tape you might use until you try them.

One good point might be always start with white (thinnest) and see how it works...

Boonechaser 11-26-2011 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by josh...just josh (Post 3881762)

I started out with pink tape as well. Maybe I should try the white to.

Boonechaser 11-26-2011 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by riversmokepole (Post 3881748)

Why don't you report what you think to the mods. I have reported your harassment. Lets see who wins?

Boonechaser 11-26-2011 07:01 PM

Josh, I seen you say you was going to sell it anyway because it was not for you. What else did you not like and what did you like? I find the bare primer to be a pain to install with a scope installed and wish I had went with the disc model.

josh...just josh 11-26-2011 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Boonechaser (Post 3881769)
Josh, I seen you say you was going to sell it anyway because it was not for you. What else did you not like and what did you like? I find the bare primer to be a pain to install with a scope installed and wish I had went with the disc model.

I don't really find priming it to be that big of deal honestly,I can see where it would be a problem if you were trying to reload fast, but it hasn't been a problem for me.
I don't like how hard it is too clean for one. The breech area stays relativity clean, but the lip on the bolt for the primer is a pain, and I have always found Knight breech plug threads to be somewhat hard to clean (since they are so far in).
My biggest problem with it honestly is that is a bit heavy and long for the kind of hunting that I do. It is a perfect rifle for long range stuff, but southern Iowa is all hills, brush, and trees (not all of Iowa is flat and boring!).
I do really like it though, it is a very well made and accurate rifle. I am torn about whether I should keep it or not.

Boonechaser 11-26-2011 07:59 PM

You hit a lot of the issues I have with it and the benefits. Cleaning seems to be my biggest issue with the breach threads in the barrel and the bolt face is a bear to keep clean. It does seem rather front heavy and long but I can deal with that.

It is a good looking rifle and I love the trigger and the stock, and accuracy. I think I am going to keep mine but, if I decide to sell at least I got it for a good price. Maybe I wont get hurt too bad on a resell.

jrbsr 11-27-2011 02:51 AM

Come on guys knock it off.

Forum Rule # 8. Do not engage in "flame-wars" or excessive exchange of confrontational postings. Debate is important, but users should not try to "pick a fight" with one another.

Originally Posted by riversmokepole (Post 3881721)

Originally Posted by riversmokepole (Post 3881731)
You should really try to find something else other than the Knight you bought to talk about

Originally Posted by riversmokepole (Post 3881731)
Your busted Endeavor Shooter

Originally Posted by Boonechaser (Post 3881733)

Originally Posted by riversmokepole (Post 3881734)

Originally Posted by riversmokepole (Post 3881737)
That was way before you became a forum member !!!!

Originally Posted by Boonechaser (Post 3881746)

ronlaughlin 11-27-2011 04:29 AM

josh...just josh

Now is the time to try out an X7, if weight and length are an issue with the Mountaineer. There are only a few left. The Mountaineer is a quality well built rifle; the same is true of the X7.

dirt1008 11-27-2011 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 3881857)
josh...just josh

Now is the time to try out an X7, if weight and length are an issue with the Mountaineer. There are only a few left. The Mountaineer is a quality well built rifle; the same is true of the X7.

I want an x7 pretty bad and the only one I can find for sale, it's a good price and brand new, is on gunbroker. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx

josh...just josh 11-27-2011 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 3881857)
josh...just josh

you read my mind! that is actually what am thinking of going with if I can sell my mountaineer

josh...just josh 11-27-2011 07:26 AM

like a lot of us, I like to read and dream about the stories where some guy takes a shot at 250+ yards and drops the buck of his life... but in reality most of my hunting involves pushing through bush and trees and getting shots in the 50 yard range. Occasionally I will get a further shot say across a bean field, but in most cases I pass on the really far shots anyway. I think that an X7 would be perfect for me, even if I don't wind up selling the mountaineer I think that I am going to wind up with one of those someday anyway.

ronlaughlin 11-27-2011 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by josh...just josh (Post 3881928)
like a lot of us, I like to read and dream about the stories where some guy takes a shot at 250+ yards and drops the buck of his life... but in reality most of my hunting involves pushing through bush and trees and getting shots in the 50 yard range. Occasionally I will get a further shot say across a bean field, but in most cases I pass on the really far shots anyway. I think that an X7 would be perfect for me, even if I don't wind up selling the mountaineer I think that I am going to wind up with one of those someday anyway.

My hunting is quite similar to yours, and it sure is nice to be packing the X7 through brush, and timber. I do practice with the X7 now and again at long range. Following is a photo of 5 shots from the X7 at 271 yard.

cantremembermyid 11-27-2011 10:30 AM

I'v tried both

grease and white teflon tape with my Mountaineer. I prefer the grease because the BP has a good, snug fit. It is hard to turn in with the white tape.