Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Friday

Old 11-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Black Friday

Well, the wife dragged me out black Friday shopping this am. I pulled a fast one on her though- I dropped her off at the mall and headed to Cabelas .

They had an Accura V1 in SS/Camo with the thumbhole stock for $299. If it would have been in .45 I wouldn't have been a strong enough man to walk away from it.... They did get a new shipment of muzzy's in from when I went a month ago, but the selection is still a disgrace. It's amazing how muzzleloading is such a minority in the hunting world- there was an L.A. mob-sized number of people in the regular gun section and archery section. I seriously was the ONLY person lurking in the blackpowder section that I saw.

Prices were all over the place- they had some good prices on rifles- the Accura, they had a used, but very good condition Triumph for $249, NIB Optimas for $219, etc. Bullet & powder prices were very high- $32 for BH209, $28 for T7. PB Aerolites were $32 for 15! Not that I shoot Powerbelts anyways, but that is just ridiculous! That's $2.13 per bullet! Even premium bullets like Barnes or Lehigh don't cost anything like that- I figured that each bullet/sabot combo with a Lehigh costs me about $0.94, and Barnes would be in the same ballpark or slightly more depending on the deal you get.

Anywhoo, I came home this time with some hunting clothes and a bunch of ammo for my pistols.... No BP supplies for me, I'll shop elsewhere...
Old 11-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your Lucky to have a Cabela's by You. That's weird, as today I was telling My Wife Connie that I Wish Cabela's had a Black Thursday and Friday.......so they actually do.
I have 3 ACCURA V1's 1 Camo SS and 2 SS Blk. I did manage to get a Blk SS non thumbhole for $299 a year ago and I thought that was a good deal.
Why DID'NT You BUY the ACCURA SS Camo in 50 with the Thumbhole Stock for $299, why did you want a .45?
Old 11-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I refused to go shopping on black Friday. And while the women folk all complained, I just told them.. NO! So we did not go shopping. I hate crowds. And the parking lots were packed. We had to drive home for a visit with the family over thanksgiving. Man it is nice to be home! And I got a chance to drive my brand new truck which was nice.

I did stop at Gander Mountain on the way south and got some primers that shoot BlackHorn, some T-7 powder and they had no 300 grain XTPs in stock. In fact nothing that would have shot out of a muzzleloader for bulk bullets. I was kind of bummed.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I refused to go shopping on black Friday. And while the women folk all complained, I just told them.. NO! So we did not go shopping. I hate crowds. And the parking lots were packed. We had to drive home for a visit with the family over thanksgiving. Man it is nice to be home! And I got a chance to drive my brand new truck which was nice.

I did stop at Gander Mountain on the way south and got some primers that shoot BlackHorn, some T-7 powder and they had no 300 grain XTPs in stock. In fact nothing that would have shot out of a muzzleloader for bulk bullets. I was kind of bummed.
Im with You Dave...Im a In and Out Shopper. I know what I want, I go in, get it and leave. And Our Gander Mountain that's near us (Im in NY and it's in PA, but Im near the PA line) also does'nt have much of a Selection. I went there once to look for a Pair of Hunting Boots and they did'nt have a size 14 and Im a 15.
But the Way, if you have any COLD SNOWY Weather in Wisconsin send it our way, we need some Cold and Snow, this 60 Degreese just does'nt cut it for Hunting in NY in November.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

99% of my shopping is done online. Well, I find it online, and then order by phone.

I bought a bunch of stuff yesterday.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Banned

eh shopping for muzzleloader stuff at stores sucks. Better selection online. I do love a store in Manitou springs called The mountain man, they got everything! I just love to go in there and look at everything and touch things. They even have containers with spare replacement parts for sidelocks and flinters.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Your Lucky to have a Cabela's by You. That's weird, as today I was telling My Wife Connie that I Wish Cabela's had a Black Thursday and Friday.......so they actually do.
I have 3 ACCURA V1's 1 Camo SS and 2 SS Blk. I did manage to get a Blk SS non thumbhole for $299 a year ago and I thought that was a good deal.
Why DID'NT You BUY the ACCURA SS Camo in 50 with the Thumbhole Stock for $299, why did you want a .45?
It was a really good deal, but I really don't need another inline. My next muzzy will probably be a Lyman Great Plains rifle. But I am partial to .45's, I only have 1 but would not mind another....
Old 11-26-2011, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

i went to Menard's to get one thing and went for one thing only ,ok 3. but could not get to number 3. lol .. that place was stupid, not only does every one want to get in all at onces but every one wants to check out at the same time.