Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Clean Your Deer where it fell or someplace else? >

Clean Your Deer where it fell or someplace else?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Clean Your Deer where it fell or someplace else?

Old 11-22-2011, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Right where they drop. My dad, brother and myself have all shot deer either sniffing, eating the remains of a gut pile of previous owner. That and no need to drag all that extra weight for no need.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehorse
Deer are stupid, mostly. They don't cross the road at cross walks, have not learned to fear motor vehicles in 100 years or seem not be afraid of blood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tu6WoHJlPk
I suppose 1200+ years of meat being forbidden in Japan, and the Japanese building shrines to the deer messengers of the Gods, is what it takes to train them. Assuming whitetails are as smart as Japanese Sika, I will get to work on a shrine on the farm

Could be a whole new type of attractant!

Last edited by Palehorse; 11-22-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

I know I stuck a deer and it just dropped on the spot and then more deer came in behind it and were eating right next to the dead doe with out paying any attention to it. So I dont think it really matters. But we drag behind a bush and do it there or take it to the house and put guts in bucket and haul to a pit. But we never leave them in open sight near a stand we always hide them behind a bush.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

I don't usually gut them within 50 yards or so from my stand. I still drag them out by hand so reducing their weight helps make the job easier.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

I drag my deer away from my stands . Dont want my scent stinking up the place. That said i have had mature bucks and does turn inside out and run off when coming acrossed blood trails and such.Not so much younger deer. But then again i hunt a high pressured population of deer in the north east smallwoodlots .. .I just started hunting a large lease this year 1100 acres hunted by 8 hunters total.The deer on the lease seem much more calm and let you get away with alot more than the other places .However the does here get more pressure than the bucks and they are jumpier than a long tailed cat at a rockingchair convention.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

My deer get cleaned out where they drop. No need to drag the extra weight, since I too hunt alone, and hand drag my deer. Though with the new relaxed "vehicle laws" here in WI, I may take a cart with me next year. To "facilitate" dragging deer out to the truck.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now this is what I have found out about leaving the Gut Piles where you shot the Deer. We have a Ton of Coyotes where I live and the Deer are Super Paranoid. If we leave a Gut Pile the Yotes will eat every drop of it execpt the Stomache by morning. I have had Deer come by the Remains leaft over and spooked from I assumed the Scent of the Coyotes that fed on it, it could have been My Scent from the cleaning that I left behind.
I have also seen Yotes come back to the Gut Pile to finish off what's left behind (Dead Yote) but then having the Yotes in the area as there's food there for them had cut the Deer sightings to slim to none while the gut pile was still there. So just to play it safe and we do what I mentioned in the beginning.
But twords the end of the Season we will leave the remains behind as we wont be comming back to that certain spot to Hunt again that year.
Thank's for your Comments, I wanted to see what different findings you all have from different parts of the US.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gut where they drop, I hunt by myself.

last year I dragged an deer for the guy next door. from where he shot it to another location because he did not want the mess there.did get the meat for the deer for doing everything
Old 11-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Spike

Does everyone gut their deer? I remember reading a couple of guys on the boards here who quit gutting deer a long time ago stating it was a lot of extra work for just two teeny inner loins.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use gutless, but still get the tenderloins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.