Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Scent Control and Camo, Your Thoughts... >

Scent Control and Camo, Your Thoughts...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scent Control and Camo, Your Thoughts...

Old 11-21-2011, 03:27 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
There's only 2 things that will make you a Successful Hunter and they dont cost you a thing, One is Movement and the other is the Wind Direction, that's it PERIOD!..........your Thoughts.......
This is what I believe. I don't plan on shooting downwind deer. In KS it seem like there is always a downwind direction. I select my hunting location based on wind direction and stink away.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well it sounds like a lot of people use scent control stuff, I think a lot of it is a big scam. What they never mention is that any prey type animal with good scenting ability can smell a meat eaters breath a long way, and I never heard of any way to eliminate that. Now if you are a vegetarian some of that stuff might do you some good but I do not recall meeting any vegetarian hunters.
We bow hunted and did well in the 50's and 60's with plaid and green clothes but I do believe camo helps some. A deer can see blue and green and shades of black and white the also see beyond the color range of humans and that is where the color brighteners in most soap are detrimental to hunting.
The eyes of a deer are designed to see movement,that's why high in a tree or a ground blind makes a big difference.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well it sounds like a lot of people use scent control stuff, I think a lot of it is a big scam.
+1
IMO: It's a big money making scam.

The eyes of a deer are designed to see movement,that's why high in a tree or a ground blind makes a big difference.
Much of my deer hunting is done from a stand. Deer do not normally look for threats from above.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by slowr1der
I learn something new everyday. I didn't realize they were illegal anywhere. Our state doesn't allow baiting in the form of pouring corn out or anything like that, but you can plant a food plot.

In all honesty though, I said food plot, and while some guys do plant stuff around here, I mostly hunt over bean fields or corn fields, but I call them a food plot like the rest. Although the ones I and the guy I with hunt over are going to be planted regardless of if we are hunting there or not, I'm just too cheap to buy a ton of of stuff to plant, when I can hunt in this fields for free. The guy I hunt with most of the time is a farmer, so hunting with him has it's advantages.

That said, if I wasn't getting to hunt over these fields, I'd probably pony up for a food plot too.

Can you all hunt over fields with beans and corn, and similar?
We hunt at altitude. I live at 8000ft, and hunt from 9000-12,000ft. You can't grow crops at those altitudes. The only thing grown here are cattle and horses.

Hunting here is spot and stalk, and still hunting. Bow hunters take stands. The rest of us keep moving.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Well it sounds like a lot of people use scent control stuff, I think a lot of it is a big scam. What they never mention is that any prey type animal with good scenting ability can smell a meat eaters breath a long way, and I never heard of any way to eliminate that. Now if you are a vegetarian some of that stuff might do you some good but I do not recall meeting any vegetarian hunters.
We bow hunted and did well in the 50's and 60's with plaid and green clothes but I do believe camo helps some. A deer can see blue and green and shades of black and white the also see beyond the color range of humans and that is where the color brighteners in most soap are detrimental to hunting.
Deer see blue. They see green as a pale yellow like everything else in nature. Green is a natural color for deer. Blue isn't.

Camo works no better than plaid red and black, green and black, and white and black. Anything that breaks up the human form works.

Some camo actually hurts you. At a distance some of it looks like a big blob. This is not natural to the deer family.

Those who think they can always stay upwind is dreaming. Wind changes direction. Wind swirls. This may be a surprise to some it seems, but game will circle around you to catch your scent. If you don't believe any of this? You haven't been hunting for very long.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

I use none of the above. I do not wear camo, even in turkey season.

The only thing I have witnessed make a big difference is attractants.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've read that elk have 1000 times better smell than a bloodhound.

I think scent control helps somewhat. Even if it gets an elk to hesitate for 2 seconds.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scent control – Have used it to a ridiculous level in the past and not so sure it helped. This year I’m not using anything except spray on my boots (but sometimes I forget) and I have seen more deer so far than my previous two seasons, and gotten very close a few times already. Playing the wind is the key, and getting high up off the ground if you are in a stand.

Camo – I think if it breaks up your outline it can help, depending on how you hunt. I have seen deer see me on the ground while wearing ASAT at 10 yards away and not spook. They knew I was something new, but didn’t know what I was.

Breaks up your outline:

Makes you look like a solid blob:

Old 11-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regarding camo, +1 on whatever breaks up your outline. I've had deer stare right at me while I'm wearing red/black wool coats an not know I was there.

I was turned on to a web page from this site a while back.

http://whitetail.com/camo1.html

Clearly an agenda here but still some good info.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

My scent control is washing clothes in home made soap or baking soda and using the wind to my advantage.
My camo is usually a dark brown or dark green shirt and faded blue jeans. In cool weather I will wear a camo sweat shirt on top.
I've killed my share of deer and seldom get "busted" unless the wind shifts or swirls.
I do a good bit of hunting in archery season and most of my shots are well under 20 yards.

The last one I killed was a small racked buck that walked within 5 yards of my 12' ladder stand and I shot him at about 10 yards.
He came in from a quartering angle to the wind and walked downwind of me, but being 12' up kept my scent from reaching him when he was that close.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.