Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hunting snacks

Old 11-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

What I do when Im in a blind I just keep an empty fabric jug with me, when it full I carry it out with me.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I did that when I was truck driving for a living.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
My mother always makes us a couple of big batches of fresh pepperoni rolls. She is getting pretty old now, but she brought some pepperoni rolls up this afternoon. That and some homemade Pumpkin Rolls. Tom.
Pepperoni rolls sounds great! My wife makes a pretty mean pumpkin roll and I've really been trying to cut back.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm getting hungry.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sqezer
What I do when Im in a blind I just keep an empty fabric jug with me, when it full I carry it out with me.
Deer dont accociate Humane Pee with a Human, it's just PEE. PEE somewhere near your Stand some time and see what the Deer do when they come in and if they find it, they'll mabey smell it, if not they'll just keep going. If they take off at 900 Milions Miles and Hour you better go in and have your Pee checked out.
In all seriousness Human Pee wont spook Deer, make a Mock Scrape, Pee in it and I bet a Buck will come in and Tear it Up.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know that's not true of bears or coyotes. I assumed after all these years that it applied to all animals.

If our pee doesn't smell like a human. Why are we worried about our scent at all? Which of course we have to.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

In a way you may be right depending on the experience of the deer and how old your pee is. This was a good response from another forum that makes sense.

got that question over on the deer forum on the Christian Outdoor Fellowship of America (COFA, of which I am co-founder).

Here was my answer:

Again, as a person who has either done a lot af personal research on whitetails and elk, or who has read a lot of research papers on those animals, let me set it straight.

Urine is different in different species, due to the chemicals found in what they eat. Thus, those animals (such as predators and humans) that eat meat, have a lot more protein in their urine, than those animals that are primarily vegetarion ("grazers" like elk, "browsers" like whitetails).

It has been found that a deer's sense of smell is about 1000 times better than that of a human.

Urine breaks down within hours into ammonia and other substances, due to bacterial action and being exposed to air.

Part of the answer to the question lies in the amount of scent (human urine) left behind, and how long it has been there, the less urine left, and the longer it has been there, the less it smells like human urine, and the more it smells like ammonia (which is non-threatening).

So - deer and elk can tell the difference between the urine of something that has recently eaten meat, and somehting that has not eaten meat.

Deer use their eyes ther ears and their nose to detect danger. But, unlike the other tow senses, when a deer smells danger - the response goes directly to a part of the brain that often causes an immediate respone- rather than a response to further investigate - so that it can verify that what it sees, hears or smells is dangerous.

The question then arises - Does high protein urine alarm deer and elk?

The answer to that lies in the fact that deer and elk routinely come across urine of predators, thus it may cause them to become "aware" of the fact that a meat eater was in the area. But, it may not cause them to become alarmed, if no other predator-related scents (such as dander, perspiration oils and odors, feces, or breath odors) are associated are detected.

In a study of how whitetails react to buck urine, doe urine, pre-estrus urine, estrus urine, post estrus urine and human urine, the most positive responses were to human urine. I suspect this was a "curiosity" response.

If a deer needs to be aware of everything in its home range - in order to survive - then it has to learn about everything in that home range, which means it probably investigates "new" or "unfamiliar" things (like human scents) - in order to learn. And - as long as there is not a sight or sound to further alarm the deer - it may not spook.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Deer dont accociate Humane Pee with a Human, it's just PEE. PEE somewhere near your Stand some time and see what the Deer do when they come in and if they find it, they'll mabey smell it, if not they'll just keep going. If they take off at 900 Milions Miles and Hour you better go in and have your Pee checked out.
In all seriousness Human Pee wont spook Deer, make a Mock Scrape, Pee in it and I bet a Buck will come in and Tear it Up.
I have always heard this but never experienced it until 2 weeks ago. I relieved myself at the base of a tree about 6 feet from my stand. A small buck walked up and stood beside that tree and in fact was probably standing in urine about 20 mins after I relieved myself. He could have cared less. Gone is my fear of urine in the woods now.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Braunschweiger on Rosemary Triscuit with a nice Brown Ale or Winter Lager.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I eat 2 hardboiled eggs and a banana in the morning before I hunt, and open two CLIF bars and wrap them inside a handkerchief. The two CLIF bars are all I need for an all day hunt, even if on the move the whole day. Sometimes I only eat one. I just don't get hungry when hunting for some reason, and this boy can really eat. Never had to take a dump in the woods either, and I almost always hunt all day. My body just "knows" what I'm doing and adjusts accordingly, except for the pee. If I am still hunting all day, I bring a quart of water and drink most of it 'cause it's easier to pee at most any time. If I am stand hunting I drink very little.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.