Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight MK 85 Misfire >

Knight MK 85 Misfire

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight MK 85 Misfire

Old 11-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Knight MK 85 Misfire

I have had a couple of misfires on my muzzle loader and trying to figure out why. I missed a real nice 8 point tonight and that has me frustrated. It was my second deer I missed. The other day I had a "pop" but no fire and tonight just a click and it didn't fire the cap. I got home adjusted the secondary safety some and it fired. It I had my secondary safety rotated too far back would that cause it not to fire? Could somebody give me a hand.

I took it apart and cleaned it a week or so ago and test fired it. It worked fine. But since it has been unreliable. Help!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

the first pop do you mean the 11 fired? if it did clean everything and make sure your powder is good / nipples clear........the 2nd one i've had the caps not fire if there not all the way on the nipple..if the click is the plunger hitting the cap its probly not the safty the safty should stop the plunger...it could be a bad cap/or not on good....i have had a cap not fire and when I looked at it I could see the hammer(sidelock) hit it and crushed it onto the nipple more and the 2nd time it fired
Old 11-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The "secondary safety" as you call it is suppose to be screwed all the way to the back. As far as it will go. I actually never used that safety on my MK-85's. I can't see any good reason for it. Especially since you have to pull the plunger back to fire the rifle.

If you don't have that safety turned all the way back then it could casus a lighter strike. That is possible. Turn it all the way back and set off a half dozen caps. If they all fire then that was probably your problem.

I would tell you what I put on that safety on my MK-85's. But the guys here might frown on the idea. But needless to say I rendered that safety uselss. Tom.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah the first misfire the #11 cap popped. The second misfire tonight was just the plunger hitting the cap but no fire at all. That happened three times. The buck just wandered off.

I got home and took it out back. Fired once with just a click and then again and it fired. It seemed like there was a "delay" between the cap popping and then the gun firing.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Dominant Buck

That secondary safety is real touchy. While it is a great feature for climbing fences, or pulling a rifle up on a rope, etc.. it can cause misfires. Some people even put washers on that so it is always in the fire position. How they do that I am not sure. I have four knights with that secondary safety. I screw them back as far as they will go, and never have a misfire problem.

But I have noticed, even with it all the way back... on the range as you shoot, that thing will move itself forward somehow. So keep an eye on it.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Dominant Buck

When you prepare the rifle before you load... Swab the bore real good. Make sure you're shooting a loose powder made for the rifle and the #11 caps. Like Black Powder, Pyrodex RS, Triple Seven, or APP. No Blackhorn and a #11 cap. You're asking for trouble.

So before you shoot, swab the bore good with isopropyl alcohol. Now swab with some dry patches. Leaving a dry patch on the loading jag, push that to the bottom of the bore. Then put a cap on the empty rifle and pop it. Make sure the secondary safety if off. Check that patch and look for a burn mark. If you have a burn mark, pop one or two more caps.. then load. You should be ready.

If you have more problems, replace the nipple for starters and I have shot tons of shots out of mine, but there is a spring that could have grown weak. Perhaps knight could help you in that department if the problem continues.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

if its the safety that stinks,,,,,,I'll have to watch mine
Old 11-18-2011, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have a good strong spring, the safety off, a clean dry bore, a good nipple with a clear flash hole, good dry powder and good magnum strength primers you will have zero misfires with that rifle. That's all there is to it. From what you describe I would guess your problem is either in your nipple or your primers.
That secondary safety should be turned all the way out. I personally do not use it when I am in my stand.