Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hunting Boots

Old 11-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Hunting Boots

A little off topic, but it's still gear for a black powder hunter.

This thread is about what boot do you hunt in?

I've used the same boots for the last 6 years. I wear them everyday, which includes hunting and hiking 345 days a year. I've beat on these boots, and they never let me down. Completely water proof and warm. I've hiked for hours in 1ft of snow, and stood ankle deep in streams. Never a leak, and my feet have never been cold. Great support, and didn't need any break in. I recommend them highly if you're in the market for some good hunting boots.

Here's the link for the boots, and the socks I wear with them.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footw...3Bcat104841180

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footw...3Bcat103991580
Old 11-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Muley, I hope it's not the same pair of socks, 365 days theyed smell like tobys -ss.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've worn browning boots for a long long time with the same results. The first pair were so comfortable that I wore the soles completely smooth and got another pair. I don't know how many miles I put on those old boots. They went with me to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Oklahoma. And they too have crossed streams, stood in snow, rained on, bloodied, scatched from cacti and briars but never let me down or caused a blister. I still have both. When the weather is warm I wear a pair of the Bramaha (spelling) that you pick up at Walmart. These too are comfortable and I can walk all day in them if I have to.
But this year I just purchased a pair of Cabela's brand rubber boots, 17" zip up front and 800 gr thinsulate. They feel nice and snug around the ankle which was my biggest gripe about a rubber boot. I think I just might like them.

Last edited by bronko22000; 11-15-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boots?? Boots?? We don't need no stinking boots!! We use slippers in our hunting shacks. Because we normally have the heat turned up too high. Tom.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
Boots?? Boots?? We don't need no stinking boots!! We use slippers in our hunting shacks. Because we normally have the heat turned up too high. Tom.
I'm guessing they're pink too.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Meindl boots are some of the best money can buy.if i lived in cold country,where i had to trudge through knee deep snow, i would own a pair. my 8" waterproof redwings with 400 grams on thinsulate work real well for me, considering the climate i hunt in.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wear my regular size 11, 5E, New Balance running shoes most of the time (need the wide width because of the webbed feet). They're not waterproof though. If it's wet out I switch to 11' rubber boots.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Banned

i like Rocky boots, affordable and soft on your feet. As far as socks i use regular cotton socks but can change them up to 2 times a day to keep jungle rot away
Old 11-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no way i could wear insulated boots in the spring, summer, or fall. No way, no way, no way. Ice fishing standing on the ice, i need lots and lots of insulation. When it is warm, i want thin socks, and zero insulation. Today, i hunted in ankle deep snow wearing uninsulated Danner boots. It was 22 degrees when i came back to the truck. I wore surplus USMC socks; my feet never spoke to me once, about being cold. When it gets colder, i will be wearing Danner boots with 200g of thinsulate. All my hunting shoes are gore-tex lined; my feet never get wet.

This thread has me thinking back to all those many many years before the invention of gore-tex, and how no matter what one used to 'waterproof' them boots, they never were. We tried just about everything possible to keep our feet dry, but nothing really really worked. Hooray for gore-tex.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm blessed Ron with feet that don't sweat. I can wear the same boots and socks in 90 degree weather and be comfortable. I like that, because if I wore thinner socks the boots wouldn't fit anymore.

I wished the rest of my body worked as well as my feet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.