Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hunting Boots

Old 11-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's one thing that I need to invest in. For the past 5 years I've been wearing some $25 dollar rubber boots with a liner for insulation. They fail in all areas. If I'm sitting on a stand and it is cold out (20 degrees or colder), my toes go numb within 30 minutes. If I'm doing a drive or still hunting, they lack traction and stability. The only time they work okay is when I'm in a stand and it is relatively warm out. I've been blowing my money on rifles, powder, sabots, bullets, accessories, etc for too long. Now I need to invest in some decent quality hunting boots and clothing...
Old 11-16-2011, 12:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have several pair of hunting boots, 800 gram rubber redheads, a couple more pair of redheads and rocky boots to. My boots I only wear for hunting, I don't put them on until I get to my hunting spot. They last for several years that way and I dont get any kind of contaminate on them.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:53 AM
Typical Buck

I had Rocky boots for my last 2 pairs. Both of them had the soles dry rot and fall apart. The first pair lasted 7 or 8 seasons, the second pair fell apart in the 3rd season. I am now wearing a pair of Wolverine hunting boots. I only wear them hunting or occasionally fishing so they have seen that much use. All have been Thinsulate and Gore-tex and have kept me warm and dry. I have very narrow feet and the Wolverines fit me the best.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Meindl boots are good stuff. Mine were a gift from some German guys i hog hunted with.

For 40 years i wore Hermann Survivor boots: They were fine boots. Now they're cheap made in China trash.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anybody ever try these "Mickey Mouse" boots?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Bata-EXT...item415512c4f0

I doubt they would be too good for serious hiking but for sitting in the stand, might be a good deal for the money.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where I live and Hunt it gets COLD, plus there's Creeks, Swamps and Water that I have to cross so I need a good pair of Insulated Rubber Knee High Boots, I only wish they made a Pair that would last longer than a couple of weeks befor they DRY ROT and CRACK!
I used to use Lacross Rubber Knee High 800 or 1000grm Thinsulate Boots, but they would Dry Rot and Crack just above My Ankle in the front of the Boot from just walking in them where the rubber bends as you walk. So 2 Years ago I switched from Lacross to Cablea's Comfort Trac 2000 Grm Insulated Rubber Knee High Boots, I wore them for 2 weeks and they started to Crack above My Ankle where they bend from walking, I called Cabela's and they shipped me a new pair no questions asked.
Pictured to the left are the New Pair of Cabela's Comfort Trac 2000 grm Boots I received from Cabela's during last Hunting Season, I wore them for a week and they started to Crack in the same place!!!! now as you can see in the Picture ALL the Rubber Boots I've bought Crack and Dry Rot, I could see if they did it after a year or two but not in a couple of weeks! Anyway I got Sick and Tored of sending them back for another pair only to have the new pair do the same thing so this is what I came up with.....
I had to replace a Winshield in My FORD 4X4 and I needed the Rubber Caulking for sealing the Windshield in place. So I went to our Local Glass Repair Shop and got a Tube of the Rubber Caulking, I fixed My Windshield and while doing so I thought to Myself Boy this Rubber Caulking is some nice stuff, Flexible, Drys Fast and is pretty Tough, what can I use the rest of the Caulk Tube on.........Hey My Older Paid of Rubber Boots that are Cracked, I'll try it on them.
Long Story Shorter, I tried the rubber caulk on a Pair of My Boots and it worked Great, it Dried Fast and Held to the Boots Rubber and withstood a Pounding, and Fixed My Boots!
I know it does'nt look that Great, especially on My Newest Pair of Cabela's Comfort Trac 2000 grm one's but it did fix the problem where they Crack and Dry Rot. I dont care how they look as long as they do the Job there suppos-to, and they do now. The other 2 Pair of Lacross Boots in the Pic I just repaired a few weeks back, there My Boots I use when we do Deer Drives so My newer ones dont get all tore up from the (Wild Rose) I have to go through once in awhile.
But Dang cant anyone make a Good Quality Rubber Insulated Boot anymore. I've also had the same problem with (Rocky) Rubber Boots too. Mabey Cabela's, Lacross and Rocky will see this and how there Boots just dont hold up.
Attached Thumbnails Hunting Boots-dsc00522.jpg  
Old 11-16-2011, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your boots look like my old waders.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Your boots look like my old waders.
Ya probably because there size 14, I actually wear a size 15 but the Boots run Big thank God as I cant find a size 15 Rubber Insulated. I can still wear 2 pair of Heavy Socks in them and still have toe room so Im Lucky.
Funny you should mention Waders.....there My Stand By Hunting Boots. I always carry My Cabela's Neopreme Chest Waders in My Truck when I go Hunting. Sometimes I have to go into the Swamp to recover a Buck that ran in there or when I want to cross the Swamp and get to where no one else can go to get to where the Deer are hiding. I sometimes cross sections of the Swamp and Creeks that run through there that are over 4 feet deep.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was talking about the repairs more than the size. Mine are for fly fishing. I have to wear size 15 wading boots. Not easy to find.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I was talking about the repairs more than the size. Mine are for fly fishing. I have to wear size 15 wading boots. Not easy to find.
Gotcha! Ya I know what you mean, Im 6'6" Tall and about 240, Boots, Pants and Shirts are all hard to find that fit me, especially when you order on line only to find out that (Your) Size is not the Size that it's suppos-to be because there made in China or somewhere where the people there dont get much taller than 5 foot. Cabela's usually has My size in a XXL Tall, but the stores and Mall's around here forget it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.