Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Anybody using Winchester 777 primers? >

Anybody using Winchester 777 primers?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anybody using Winchester 777 primers?

Old 11-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default Anybody using Winchester 777 primers?

I had read that some people felt that traditional shotgun primers may be too powerful and actually get the bullet moving before the powder fully ignites so I switched to the 777 primers. I don't see too many people here talking about primers, maybe that is because they don't really matter? So I thought I would ask, for Pyrodex pellets, does it matter what primer I use? Has anyone noticed a difference in accuracy between types of primers?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

The T7 primers should work fine for everything but BH 209.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sometimes use the T7 Primers with Pyro Pellets and they work fine. Now I cant find the chart that Sabotloader sent Me but there is a big difference in Primers as to there Length and Velocity, mabey He'll see this and Post it.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am using using t7 primers this year. namely because I found with the sit up I am using, the primer allowed better groups. but I only test 4 out of what 7 primers out there
Old 11-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Banned

Yes primers make a huge difference in accuracy. Some powders simply want a certain primer for best accuracy.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use T7 primers and Pyrodex Pellets in my Pursuit with a 240 grain .45 cal XTP and they work very well.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I remember reading a post by Sabotloader where he showed different group sizes with the same load and varying primers, and the differences were negligible. I don't remember if he chronographed them or not, but the groups were very similar and POI did not shift all that much.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
I had read that some people felt that traditional shotgun primers may be too powerful and actually get the bullet moving before the powder fully ignites so I switched to the 777 primers.
Cecil @ PR bullets has professed this stance and I would have to agree that in some cases it could actually happen, especially if the powder load has degraded, but in normal circumstances probably not a factor. As many people that are now using 209 primers I am sure we would have heard more about this by now. Especially by the folks shooting the magnum primers.

I don't see too many people here talking about primers, maybe that is because they don't really matter? So I thought I would ask, for Pyrodex pellets, does it matter what primer I use? Has anyone noticed a difference in accuracy between types of primers?
You know shooting pellets it might matter - but I am not really thinking it might...

Different POI when switching primers... I would say anytime you switch any component it might switch POI, but I my case I have not found changing primers with a proven accurate load has made a BIG difference...

Here is a target that I was testing primarily to see if the amount of velocity would change if I used different primers. It was not really shot for accuracy but you can see the differences...

Old 11-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info everyone. I will stick with the T7 primers since they are working for me.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

You would think there's some difference. Why would they bother to develop ML primers if there was no need? All the companies already had primers on the shelves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.