Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
One of the Luckiest Whitetail in No. Idaho >

One of the Luckiest Whitetail in No. Idaho

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

One of the Luckiest Whitetail in No. Idaho

Old 11-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default One of the Luckiest Whitetail in No. Idaho

It was a good morning on one sense of the word here... Deer were moving in every direction. We had a decent storm starting yesterday afternoon and late into the night. So for them to get out on this sunny clear morning they made the most of it.

I could have easily harvested 3 nice doe this morning on my walk and probably a 4th with little more difficult shot, but none of them were wearing any head gear.

We have no real good evidence yet that they are even in the rut... but when we compare notes we still think we might a week early here. Thanksgiving week has always been a really good week here.

But here is a picture of the Lucky Girl... and while I fooling around trying to get pictures of her a really big doe was standing further up the draw to the north just watching. I did not see the second one until I had put the camera away and tried to slip past this one...

You gotta squint a little bit to find her in the first pic - but she is there.

Last edited by sabotloader; 11-13-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Dominant Buck

she looks blessed.. nice pictures
Old 11-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Pics, The RUT has been SLOW in this part of the North, we've had Record Warm Temperatures and lots of Wind with most of the Deer Movement at last light or Dark. Things dont look any better for our Gun Opener this comming Saturday with Rain and more Warm Temps predicted for Thanksgiving week.
Were Not as Lucky to Hunt with our MLers yet as were still in Bow Season, I've only taken one shot at a Nice Ten Pointer that I wanted and only wanted but Murphy jumped in and My Arrow hit a twig as the Buck was standing still broadside at 17 yds after I stopped him with a mouth bleat.
Hey Mike send some of that Snow and Cold our way, we usually have it by now.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Breechplug, You are ALIVE!
Old 11-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flounder33
Hey Breechplug, You are ALIVE!
Yea Im still Kicken, It's been a SLOW DEER Season and I just have'nt got in the Mood yet. But Im back and Sorry I have'nt been on, had a-lot to do to get ready for Winter. My chores are done and now it's time to talk Black Powder and Hunting.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice pics. The rut here in PA is getting very close. The younger buck are harassing the doe. I went out this morning to pull my stand in the area were I got my buck on Tuesday. I walked down the trail where the 2 scrapes were that I squirted with buck pee Tuesday. That buck was really peeved that I peed in his scrape. He had dug it up pretty good and threw dirt about 4' back. Then when coming back out I thought I heard something running away but couldn't tell for sure. But as I hit the trail with the scrapes on, there was fresh deer poop in my boot print! There are more tracks in this area then I've seen in a while. We figure it is because they started strip mining about 1/2 mile away and that has caused the deer to move out of that area and are now in a 'strange' location.
Another point of interest is that I went to check on my gut pile and there was nothing there except the stomach contents.
Now what is strange is that either that deer traveled over a mile so I could shoot him or someone was putting out feed for them. Because in addition to a lot of browse, there was some corn and potatoes (or apples-cant' be sure) in the mix. And there are no farms for at least a mile away.

Last edited by bronko22000; 11-13-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Nice pics. The rut here in PA is getting very close. The younger buck are harassing the doe. I went out this morning to pull my stand in the area were I got my buck on Tuesday. I walked down the trail where the 2 scrapes were that I squirted with buck pee Tuesday. That buck was really peeved that I peed in his scrape. He had dug it up pretty good and threw dirt about 4' back. Then when coming back out I thought I heard something running away but couldn't tell for sure. But as I hit the trail with the scrapes on, there was fresh deer poop in my boot print! There are more tracks in this area then I've seen in a while. We figure it is because they started strip mining about 1/2 mile away and that has caused the deer to move out of that area and are now in a 'strange' location.
Another point of interest is that I went to check on my gut pile and there was nothing there except the stomach contents.
Now what is strange is that either that deer traveled over a mile so I could shoot him or someone was putting out feed for them. Because in addition to a lot of browse, there was some corn and potatoes (or apples-cant' be sure) in the mix. And there are no farms for at least a mile away.
Yea it sound like someone in the area is Baiting the Deer, but the Deer do Travel a long way to find the Food. I live in a Agricultural Area, Corn and Soybeans, Grapes and Apples and all the rest. We Hunt the FOOD Source, that's where the Deer go and that's where you'll find them in the Fall when there building up there Winter Fat Reserves. It's not uncommon to see Deer travel a couple of Miles to where the Food is, so who knows....
Our RUT should be in FULL SWING by now and you being in PA ahould be close to ours, the Deer are Chasing but it's Late. By the way I picked up a few PA Newspapers and saw some Awsome Deer that are being taken by your local Bowhunters, the Antler Restrictions are Really Paying off there. I also forgot to mention that with all the other Changes to our Next Hunting Season, NY will now have Antler Restrictions, it's about time! You cant Grow BIG Deer if you shoot the Little One's. If you let that STUPID Little 1 1/2 year Old Buck Survive just 1 Season He'll gain a World of Knowledge, then after that He Becomes a Smart Ol Guy and will learn that Curiosity is'nt as Important as Survival.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Sabot, just think if you shot her you could get all of TERRY's honey doe's done.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sabot.......0

Bambi......1