Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Mule Deer Trophy

Old 11-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mule Deer Trophy

A comment was made about a deer with 'only' 4 points in another thread. I gather this has to do with the ongoing contests, but i don't know. At any rate, i thought i would mention, in my opinion, most trophy mule deer are 4 points. In all the years i have been spending time afield, the widest, tallest, and thickest mule deer antlers were mostly 4 points.

This 4 point just noticed wife and i in the garden.

This 4 point seems to have a fifth point on the one side.

This 4 point with the fifth point on one side during daylight.

Somehow in the past 4 year or so a 3 point has begun showing up around our place. I think this picture is not the big one, but it is the best we have right now. I was taken by this beauty when he was in velvet, but never was able to photograph him. Now all we have is photo of him facing away. To me, this is as good as it gets when it comes to mule deer, a rare 3 point trophy class buck.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

I think that you need to put up a stand in your yard.....holy crap!
Old 11-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Banned

that big one is a 6x5
Old 11-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ron,do you hunt the mule deer near your home? those are some very nice bucks!!
Old 11-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've been on a good bit of hunts. I am not a 'trophy' hunter. Nor am I a meat hunter. I hunt for the enjoyment of the sport. And any animal I harvest is MY trophy.
I have no complaints about others hunting for big racks. I just don't appreciate anyone who wold put me down for shooting a lesser animal. If it's legal I may or may not shoot.

Last edited by bronko22000; 11-13-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Dominant Buck

you can cook them antlers all day and the soup still taste bad and the antlers not tender. I am a meat hunter. If a trophy happens by with that meat.. so be it. Other wise if its legal its mine. Nice looking deer there!!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
Ron,do you hunt the mule deer near your home? those are some very nice bucks!!
We live in the city. Only ones what can hunt here are lion, and swat. The swat thin the herd every now and again. Lion aren't so very welcome in town. Then to top it off, wife doesn't allow buck in the freezer. My only chance at these antler is by finding sheds; we have only found one. Seems it may be the 3 point when it was years younger.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ron, Then its time to get your own freezer - wouldn't you agree?
Old 11-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
that big one is a 6x5
In Montana, Wyoming, Western South Dakota, and most of Colorado, one doesn't count brow tines, and flash holes do erode. Basically that deer you are referring to is 4 point, with an odd point on the one side. Some might call it a 4X5, but i never have. You may call it what you wish, but please don't try to dictate how i describe a rack, in my world, and my thread. It seems we live in different worlds, and that is just fine with me. Er................maybe it would be nice to live in a world where things like flash hole didn't wear. If only, huh? Following is a photo of a small 4 point.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Ron, Then its time to get your own freezer - wouldn't you agree?
Now, that is an idea! However, then i would have to eat them nasty buck all by my lonesome. Am guessing i will leave things just the way they are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.