HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Mule Deer Trophy (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/353374-mule-deer-trophy.html)

MountainDevil54 11-13-2011 10:48 AM

Brow tines are counted as points in Colorado. Shows it in the book as well.

smokey92 11-13-2011 10:54 AM

Ron, how about a nice young doe in the freezer?

ronlaughlin 11-13-2011 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by cayugad (Post 3875284)
you can cook them antlers all day and the soup still taste bad and the antlers not tender..................

When one puts a steak from a big ole mulie buck in a hot frying pan the steam that roils off smells like urine. It makes me grin just thinking about it. Years ago when we took weekend long steelhead fishing trips in the spring, we would eat our bucks. Dang, if they didn't somehow taste good. Perhaps cooking them outdoors, and a few beer helped.

One year i had great hunting, and had filled my elk tag, and my whitetail doe tag. Late in that season during the rut, a crazy mule deer spied me sneaking through the timber. He came closer, and closer trying to wind me, and satisfy his lust. I always tell everybody i killed him to keep him from mounting me. A week later our son, and i, eagerly awaited having his tenderloins for breakfast. They were inedible. We laugh every time we remember, and when we relate the tale.

One year a fella invited our son, and myself, to hunt deer on his place. I shot a small 4 point mule deer during the rut for some reason. His neck wasn't swollen at all. It was easily some of the best tasting/chewing deer i have ever eaten. It could be the surrounding grain fields had something to do with it. I always told everybody he was gay.

ronlaughlin 11-13-2011 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by smokey92 (Post 3875305)
Ron, how about a nice young doe in the freezer?

Like this one?

ronlaughlin 11-13-2011 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 3875303)
Brow tines are counted as points in Colorado. Shows it in the book as well.

That's nice.

MountainDevil54 11-13-2011 11:24 AM

Haven't had bad deer meat yet. Buck or doe. Guess it just depends on how it was prepped at the kill site, at the cooling room and before cooking.

Making me hungry for my tender lil buck i got this year.

omegasmoke 11-13-2011 02:50 PM

I have to agree with MD. Those deer are mostly 5x5's. No matter where you live or which state the deer came from, brow tines are scorible points. those 4x4's are 5x5's.

builder459 11-13-2011 04:00 PM

Most people in the western states do not count eye brow tines as points. i can also say i have never had bad tasting venison either.

bronko22000 11-13-2011 05:09 PM

Get your hands on a nice steak, some seasoning salt, some fresh ground black pepper and a hot skillet. 2 1/2 mins on each side. Add a baked potato with butter and enjoy. Some of the best eating you can get.

Big Z 11-13-2011 06:34 PM

Brow tines count come measuring time, but for mule deer, if it's a "5x5" I usually say a 4x4 (or 4pt) WITH brow tines. Because it's not uncommon to have mule deer without brow tines, and when they do, they are often not significant..4pt designating it the classic double fork antlers. I'm bettin there's plenty of whitetail hunters who don't realize the difference in counts that mule deer hunters often use.

4 points do suck...

But 10 points are okay.

I'm just fine with decent deer. FWIW, I would rather whack a doe than a buck that isn't decent. I do like antlers, even though I shoot way more schlickheads.