Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Enough with the spam!!! >

Enough with the spam!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Enough with the spam!!!

Old 11-14-2011, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

JW & Calhunter,

thank you for your replies. The type of spam this site receives is not necessarily from an individual,per se, but more probably the result of a web-bot keying in on particular terms & phrases. If so, a "permaban" will not provide a solution since, effectively, all that will block is a proxy.
Unfortunately, I don't have a solution but I have seen this on other forums.

Now, more importantly-the "Time-Outs" & hang-ups as referenced by MuleyHunter: often it renders the site inaccessible, at the very least frustrating.
So, what's the situation there? It wasn't always the case.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

we are deleting and banning as fast as we can But they spam faster than we delete
Old 11-14-2011, 07:32 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 3seasons
JW & Calhunter,

thank you for your replies. The type of spam this site receives is not necessarily from an individual,per se, but more probably the result of a web-bot keying in on particular terms & phrases. If so, a "permaban" will not provide a solution since, effectively, all that will block is a proxy.
Unfortunately, I don't have a solution but I have seen this on other forums.

Now, more importantly-the "Time-Outs" & hang-ups as referenced by MuleyHunter: often it renders the site inaccessible, at the very least frustrating.
So, what's the situation there? It wasn't always the case.
Thanks for the info - and I am forwarding your post on to our Admins as I can not answer this. We complain about the 504 Time out errors quite often.

JW
Old 11-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

We definitely feel your pain 3seasons cause we get the same time-outs, delays and endless cycling too. This has been an ongoing chronic problem for the last 6 months to a year or so. Admin knows about it, is working on it and we've been waiting. We've complained about it several times and asked for updates on when they expect the problem to get fixed. We've been told they are working on it but don't know for certain how long it will take as they don't have the problem figured out yet. It's obviously frustrating for all of us and hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Now as for the spammers, that is in some ways a harder problem for some of the reasons previously mentioned. On the surface, you would think what the heck--I add those spammers to my spam filter on my email and it pretty much handles the problem. With HNI's "member based" website, we are physically removing the spammer's "member status" so their spambots get the return message that their account has been deleted or is not valid, etc. when they try to send spam to HNI. As you can imagine, that really cuts down their turnaround time for figuring out that they need to create a new spam membership at HNI.

I and most of the mods are not programmers so I would have to defer the technical part of the answer to admin's programmers. However, I can tell you that most of the mods spend a lot of their time deleting spam as quickly as we hear about it. Unfortunately, this means we spend most of our time on HNI just responding to complaints about spam and not very much time just posting as members and enjoying HNI as a member. It also means that we spend less time reading all of the topics so we're often not as aware of flame wars, etc. as would would like to be.

I hope the programmers get this figured out, both for the spam and the time-outs, etc. HNI is a really unique place that many of us enjoy for a variety of reasons.

Cal
Old 11-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Hey guys,

We know this has been an issue for a while. We're getting some new resources and hopefully we can put them to work asap on the chat and overall performance issues on HNI.

I know it's frustrating, as I occasionally run into page hangs, etc. here as well -- though not to the extent that you all do. Hang in there.

Paul
Old 11-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I can handle the spam better than all the timeouts I get.
Mully, at your age you got to expect it. That's what we do for the grandsons when they wet the bed. Have a great day.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sqezer

Did I get ya?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Yep ya did. See ya it's bed time.