Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shooting Free Hand >

Shooting Free Hand

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting Free Hand

Old 11-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question Shooting Free Hand

When I try to shoot without shooting sticks,leaning against a tree or without a limb to lay my ML on and try free handing it,I'm pretty shaky and not very accurate. I could use some tips on how to be a little more steady while standing to fire or while sitting in my tree stand. Does everyone move a little when not firing from some sort of support? I know the further out you shoot the more critical it is to be steady. I guess most hunters have a shooting rail on their tree stands,is this correct?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm pretty steady shooting a Hawken style gun offhand, because of the weight.

For a modern inline gun i'm all over the place. I won't shoot without some kind of rest. A light gun is nice to carry, but they're hard to hold steady.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

A few pointers. Do not tense up your muscles this this can cause the problem you are referring to. Put the stock snug against your shoulder but only with gentle pressure keep your shoulders relaxed [this is important and where a lot of people mess up]. Point left foot at the target the right should be a little more than shoulder width from it and at 45 degrees. The left hand should be strait in front of the shoulder and when you turn to adjust wind-age or follow a moving target move at the waist and not above it. This is for a right handed person so if you are a Lefty reverse things. Hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

you might want to do a search on how to use a sling it does help...I grab the forearm of the gun and the slings a loop put your elbow in the loop and sweep your elbow out and line up the gun the sling should be around arm and tight...I like to put my cheek to the stock sometimes too
Old 11-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

These are all good tips, and important for target shooting competition when forced to shoot offhand. I always did well hunting with open sights at shorter distances. (under 100yds)

However, if you're using a scope with longer shots and high magnification for hunting. I don't see the need to shoot offhand. If you don't have sticks, you can always find some kind of rest. If not going to a knee, or sitting is better than offhand.

Just rest the gun on your buddies head if you have to.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

+1 for using the sling. Here is a video to a very affective method that I use all of the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gAso3l7UCU
Old 11-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

+1 for using the sling. Here is a video to a very affective method that I use all of the time. It can also be used prone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gAso3l7UCU

heres another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib8OeQdwFEY&NR=1

Last edited by westtexducks; 11-08-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Banned

I love my Sling Stix.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

The sling helps a lot. i'm a good wingshooter: Believe it or not; it's easier for me to hit a running deer or hog than to hit one standing still.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

it has been said on this forum that competition shooters can only hit 15% of what they are aiming at, freehand. i would just give up now!!

But, if you are hard headed the sling method has always worked for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.