Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Opening day deer season >

Opening day deer season

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Opening day deer season

Old 11-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opening day deer season

Today was opener for my zone here in cali.my 10 year old tagged along and did a fine job of managing the rough high desert terrain we covered today.we spotted 3 big horns early this morning about 150 yds from where we were glassing.my son had never seen one in the wild and was thrilled to be able to watch them through the binos for about 15 minutes.i spotted 2 different deer across a major wash about a 1/2 mile away and we made the trek to investigate them, never got another look at them.i figured we covered about 4 miles of some very rough terrain and both of us are wore out.a friend was hunting about 2 miles above us and couldn't get a decent shot at a 3 point muley, that disappeared on him in a steep canyon. he scored on a nice 3x4 last month in the zone across the highway and there's plenty of time left to bag a buck. it rained yesterday, snow in higher elevations and is forecast to rain again tomorrow afternoon. temps were in the 50's,perfect hunting weather. the boy and i will be at it again in the morning,promised i would cook a big breakfast, before we leave. which means i have to get up extra early lol..take a kid hunting, it's a adventure lol!
Old 11-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good for you; I remember those days my youngest is 50 this year and my grandsons are all of age and married and the great grands are all far away. I miss being able to take them.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

My daughter is 24 and she lives in the southern part of the state, but she always comes home for opening weekend of gun season to hunt with her mom and dad. I hope thats a trend that continues.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

The time spent with our son in the field hunting, is so very very wonderful, to think back on.