Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning advice

Old 11-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cleaning advice

I have finally got everything rounded up to shoot out of my new TC Encore Endeavor. I am using blackhorn 209, TC 250 grain shockwaves with the yellow tip and the superglide sabots. I am going to season my barrel with TC bore butter but first I need to clean out the packing in the barrel from the factory. What is the best cleaner to use to get this packing out? I tried to find the JB bore butter but could not locate any in my area. I read that you need to run the cotton swab up and down the barrel about 100 times to get rid of tooling marks and to season the barrel before working up a load. I read on the back of the blackhorn can that they recommend using on blackhorn 209 bore cleaner. Is this the best stuff to use. I am open to any advice and suggestions on how you clean your guns to keep them at top performance. Thanks everyone and good luck this season.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Banned

dont season your bore with bore butter! thats amateur stuff and doesnt do a damn bit of good. It makes your accuracy worse over time.

JB Bore Paste

BH209 is the best stuff to use in todays inline muzzleloader
Old 11-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hope you have a lot of patches. The stuff TC uses is hard to get out. I just cleaned out the factory bore oil from a CVA, and used about 15 patches. In my Omega I used about 50 to start with, but the oil kept coming back after I shot it. It's like it gets into the metal and comes out when it feels like it.

I used brake cleaner and every kind of solvent you can think of. I wish i could give you one thing that works the best, but I never found one.

As for cleaning out BH after you shoot it. Use whatever works for CF guns. All of it will work. Don't use any black powder cleaners to clean BH. It won't work.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agree, stay away from the bore butter, especially since you are using BH209. Hoppes No. 9, Montana Extreme Cowboy Blend, just about any solvent you can find that normally works with centerfire rifles should work fine. If you have a stainless gun, I don't think TC packs quite the same amount of gunk in the barrel for shipping.

I don't think you need to start out with JB bore paste, I never did. My understanding is that it's use may help your barrel shoot more consistantly in the short run. I just shot a fair amount of conicals (Hornady FPBs) myself.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

50/50 mix of Hoppe's and 90% Rubbing Alcohol works for me. I would run a bunch of patches with that mix and a cleaning jag, then go over it a bunch of times with JB Bore Paste. If you can't find it locally, order it from Brownell's (the tub with blue lettering).
Old 11-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

In my very limited experience with Blackhorn in the stainless barrel of my Omega X7 I got a squeaky clean bore after only three very wet patches of straight 91% Isopropyl alcohol.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Spike

used wd-40 on my omega when it was new. just wet the bore real good let it soak a bit and it should come right off. as far as cleaning I only use soap and water.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Deerless 1
used wd-40 on my omega when it was new. just wet the bore real good let it soak a bit and it should come right off. as far as cleaning I only use soap and water.
You use soap and water for BH 209?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
50/50 mix of Hoppe's and 90% Rubbing Alcohol works for me. I would run a bunch of patches with that mix and a cleaning jag, then go over it a bunch of times with JB Bore Paste. If you can't find it locally, order it from Brownell's (the tub with blue lettering).
This will work it will also work for cleaning the metal preservative out of the new barrel use a copper brush.
The new Hoppes Elite and Montana X blackhorn cleaner also work very well.
Borebutter is for traditional rifles shooting PRB it is not wise to put it in your inline.
Do not use soap and water to clean after shooting Blackhorn that's for 777 and Pyrodex or Black powder.
Do not try muzzle loader 209 primers with Blackhorn they are to weak you need regular reloading primers they are not only much better they are much cheaper.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I am using Federal 209 primers so they should be good. Keep em" coming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.