Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
A few photos, story now included >

A few photos, story now included

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A few photos, story now included

Old 10-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice story to go with the buck. I must say you're more patient than I would have been with all those other hunters.

I don't even like to see one other hunter when i'm hunting.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story and a dandy buck. what bullet, powder charge ETC?
Old 10-26-2011, 04:28 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by builder459
Great story and a dandy buck. what bullet, powder charge ETC?
I had planned on shooting lehigh's but the gun was sighted in with open sights with the 200 gr shockwave and 120 gr of blackhorn. It was sighted in 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yards which gave me a point blank range of 165 yards. So I went with the shockwave since i had switched guns and didnt have time to sight the open sights in with lehigh's. velocity was 2036 fps. I wasnt sure if the shot was around 100 yards or 155 yards. I didnt have time to range it and when I went to the place where I thought they were standing there were 2 trails leading to the fence . one was 100 yards and 1 was 155 yards when I ranged from there back to the tree i was behind.The shot was quartered toward me and took out top of the heart, i lung destroyed , other lung damaged a little and exited farther back out the other side . He ran about 170 yards then realized he was dead and fell over. it's the farthest I have ever had a deer go, and the hardest time I've ever had finding one.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mountaineer magic
I had planned on shooting lehigh's but the gun was sighted in with open sights with the 200 gr shockwave and 120 gr of blackhorn. It was sighted in 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yards which gave me a point blank range of 165 yards. So I went with the shockwave since i had switched guns and didnt have time to sight the open sights in with lehigh's. velocity was 2036 fps. I wasnt sure if the shot was around 100 yards or 155 yards. I didnt have time to range it and when I went to the place where I thought they were standing there were 2 trails leading to the fence . one was 100 yards and 1 was 155 yards when I ranged from there back to the tree i was behind.The shot was quartered toward me and took out top of the heart, i lung destroyed , other lung damaged a little and exited farther back out the other side . He ran about 170 yards then realized he was dead and fell over. it's the farthest I have ever had a deer go, and the hardest time I've ever had finding one.
It's nice that you did find him,would have been a tough pill to swallow losing that nice WT..
Old 10-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Spike

nice nice buck
Old 10-27-2011, 03:57 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on your buck!

Sounds like you had quite the adventure, especially with all the yahoos around you shooting up the place hahaha!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:45 AM
Typical Buck

I think "shooting the place up" is the definition of hunting in south dakota, i am originally from east river south dakota, Home of the road hunter, Now i live on the standing rock reservation and it turns out they love their steel horses up here too, i have hunted the black hills for elk and deer once and will never go back, i have come to the conclusion that maybe there is more hunters than land in south dakota lol.

Last edited by sdhunter11; 10-27-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool story. Thanks for sharing. Very glad you found him. That would have been a very discouraging loss. BTW, where did you hit him? Did you end up back tracking after you found him to see if there was a blood trail?

Also, what do you mean by road hunters? It’s illegal to hunt from the road in Virginia, even if you are in a Wildlife Management Area.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:54 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Cool story. Thanks for sharing. Very glad you found him. That would have been a very discouraging loss. BTW, where did you hit him? Did you end up back tracking after you found him to see if there was a blood trail?

Also, what do you mean by road hunters? It’s illegal to hunt from the road in Virginia, even if you are in a Wildlife Management Area.
I hit him behind the the shoulder and it exited out the other side near the liver. I never found a blood trail. and it is illegal to road hunt here also but it seems that most people do it anyway. They cruise the dirt roads and section lines in the early morning and late evening.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted Nebraska many years ago and i was amazed at the amount of road hunters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.