Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
OK, I'll Come Clean - Bought Some Blackhorn >

OK, I'll Come Clean - Bought Some Blackhorn

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OK, I'll Come Clean - Bought Some Blackhorn

Old 10-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default OK, I'll Come Clean - Bought Some Blackhorn

I guess most of you guys know I've never been a Blackhorn 209 fan. I bought a canister three years ago and didn't find it did anything I couldn't pretty much do as well with Triple Seven, Pyrodex or even GOEX.

Well, last weekend my brother in law showed up at the hunting lease with his first canister of BH, and shot some really nice groups with it in his Omega. I still had a little BH left in my three year old canister, so I decided to use it up in my X7 with 250 grain Deep Curls.

I took three shots with 100 grains. Recoil was "significant" with the little gun and the group was nothing special. Tried three with 90 grains and it was pretty much the same. I had just enough BH left for two 80 grain shots. Recoil was comfortable and those two hit the 100 yard target pretty close together.

Naturally, over the last week I got to wondering just how well that 80 grain load would do. So in a moment of weakness I stopped off at a local gun shop on my way to the lease Friday afternoon and dropped $30 plus tax for a canister of BH.

I shot twenty rounds this morning, ten with the 250 grain Deep Curls and ten with 300 grain SSTs. (forgot the 300 grains Deep Curls, which are what I really wanted to try.

Here are the targets.

Now I'm perfectly satisfied with those. But honestly, in this gun I can do just as well with any of the other powders. Though I have to admit not wiping between shots was a novelty and kind of nice.

Here's what the primers looked like (same as always, regardless of powder).

And here's what the breech looked like (again, same as always).

All in all, the remainder of my second canister of BH may last another three years. Of course, that could change if it really stacks the 300 grain Deep Curls when I get a chance to try them. (Or if they start putting 16 oz. of powder in that half full canister.)
Old 10-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't feel bad, I did it also. And I think I was the most negative of all about the Black Horn Powder. You really can teach an old dog new tricks. And I was very suprised how well it shot and kept my Knight LRH clean(way beyond any expectation). Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 10-23-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

By the way I saw the peep sight you made from a bolt that you posted on "The Muzzleloading Forum". That was pretty neat!! Tom.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

As Chris 'Boomer' Berman would say on Monday Night Football: "Come on Man".....
First you go and scope your Renegades. Now you go and buy and shoot BH209!
But in as much as you confessed to doing it you may not be entirely lost.
And they are some pretty nice groups. So I guess I can forgive you. I mean, look at all the money you will save in patches - right?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Semi, try a 105 and 110 gr load with those bullets and see what happens.that gold dot especially like's being pushed..
Old 10-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

I would like to buy a can of BH whenever I can justify it, but at the moment I have most of box of tripple seven pellets and a can of pyrodex to go through first.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

semi, that looks good enough to hunt with.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I about half an container left of bh209. still have not gotten an taste for it. but I do have an test I like to do for it. when I get time.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Looks like some good shooting to me. And that would be nice not to swab when shooting sabots.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi, try a 105 and 110 gr load with those bullets and see what happens.that gold dot especially like's being pushed..
I did shoot three shots with 100 grains last weekend Builder. It gave me a 3.5" group. And a 90 grain load gave me a 3" group. But the main thing is that 100 grain load was just brutal in the little X7. I'm not at all recoil shy, but didn't enjoy shooting those loads.

I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with that load Sqezer. It has plenty of energy and is flat enough out to 150 yards so as to require no holdover estimation. The trajectory would look something like this.

And that would be nice not to swab when shooting sabots.
I can't deny it Cayugad. It is nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.