Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
ml bases and rings >

ml bases and rings

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ml bases and rings

Old 10-22-2011, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default ml bases and rings

I'm going to put a scope on a mk-85 and replace my rings and maybe base on my black diamond xr its got a see through rings(i can't keep my cheek to the stock with these rings) should I stay away from Aluminum base and rings? i'll be playing with loads to 150grains on these guns...and will a 40mm scope work on a low set of rings? thanks ed
Old 10-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think if you go with steel bases they are always better than aluminum rings, but that being said, plenty of people have used aluminum bases without a problem myself included. I don't like aluminum rings though, and I'd go with a quality set of rings. You may be able to use lows with a 40mm scope, but I'm not positive on that.

To me lows, put the scope to low for me, but some guys like that and think mediums are too high. It's all a personal preference.

For rings, I'd highly recommend the Burris Signature Zee rings with the plastic inserts, they are wonderful. They eliminate the need for lapping, are strong, and best of all don't leave any ring marks. It's the way I'd go, and I've got several sets of them. I won't buy anything else at this point as they are the best I've used under $100. The only downside I can think of is that the lowest they make is mediums, but if you can use those, these are great rings.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

I've used Millett bases and Angle-Loc rings for 25 years, on both centerfire rifles and ML's. Never a problem with mounting or alignment and adjustment. I deviated once, with the last ML I purchased, a CVA Kodiak. CVA recommended some in my owners manual (forgot the brand) and I tried them. My Zeiss scope was at the end of adjustment when I got it zero'd. Then my shot groups were all over the target. Changed to the Angle-Loc, sighted in with only a few shots. Spot on. There are other good brands out there, I just haven't tried them. Too much success with Millett.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use alot of aluminum bases and steel rings. i love the way the steel bites into the aluminum. everyone has there favorite brands. i use mostly leupold PRW-S for rings. they use torx screws instead of flats. they also use 4 screws on the top. i also like Warne rings and bases too. they are just trickier to use because they use a key slot wedge that you need 3 hands to hold in place as you tighten down. I tried Millets but broke 2 sets of the angles claws while snugging down and they just never seemed to grab the base even. i hear good things about burris signatures but i never get rings marks when using one piece bases and a wheeler torque wrench. on my heavy recoil guns i put a coat of liquid electrical tape on the inside of the scope rings let it dry and mount. weaver steel grand slams are good too for the money.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I will not put aluminum bases or rings on my firearms. So I couldn't tell you whether they will work or not. But I know for sure that steel ones work very well.

I like the one piece Warne base. IMO it is the longest base, and gives you alot of options for mounting your scope.

As far as low rings are concerned. Well a 40mm will normally fit. But it depends on how long the scope is, as well as the objective bell of the scope. You have to clear the rear sgihts as well if you leave them on the rifle. So the length of the scope is important there. Also the length can give you less grip to grap the plunger. So the objective lense is not the only variable.

Also if it is a variable sometimes the power ring can be in an inopportune position. That is another reason I like the Warne base which allows for a few different placements of the rings to adjust all these little things. Tom.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by liquidorange
i also like Warne rings and bases too. they are just trickier to use because they use a key slot wedge that you need 3 hands to hold in place as you tighten down.

There is an easy way to solve that. I just turn the rifle on its side and lay it on a large bathroom towel at a 90* angle(on it's side). The slot bar will stay firmly in place at that angle, as well as the screws, and the scope is embraced by the heavy towel. Tom.