Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
chronograph (been thinking of getting one) >

chronograph (been thinking of getting one)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

chronograph (been thinking of getting one)

Old 10-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default chronograph (been thinking of getting one)

been thinking about getting an chronograph for the last couple of years. with me shooting my own home cast bullets at the lighter load I prefer. I started to wonder what the FPS I am shooting at. i know i would not have one before the season starts. all my plans for extra money over christmas went out the window.

would it be worth it for me to get one?

what would the benefits would be?

any suggestions for one about in the $100 range?

I can find one at an local gun shop. I be leave it is an chrony f1 for $90 (i can talk them down). I would like to have one with an screen that can set next to me.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have the Digital Pro Chrono by Competition Electronics. Works great. They're under $100 but do not have the remote readout.

A chrono is fun to play with, but not at all necessary for working up a good load. I use mine in about one range session out of ten.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Corey a chronograph was something I never thought I would use. Until I bought one. Now I like to use it every time I go to the bench. However I don't go to the bench very often.

I found that I did not necessarily use the actual velocity very much.

What I used the most is trying to find a consistent load(same velocity). Normally the most consistent load is going to yield the most accurate load in most rifles. So I like to keep my SD's down for accuracy.

You can get along fine without one. But I do enjoy mine. And it saves me bench time. So I can spend more time practicing with an accurate load that was easier to find with the chrono.

If you are looking for a good deal on one. The best place to get one is from the actual manufacturer themselves. Many of the mfrs. who make them will sell you a factory refurb. for a discounted price. That is where I bought mine. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 10-19-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

started an search for one. found the same one I been looking at all places wally worlds website.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/F1-Chronograph/4382668

going to drop a few things I am asking for Christmas and as for that.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:56 AM
Typical Buck

Corey:
I see em used all the time on this website.Airgun forum,,,,,check out the classifieds,,,i think there is one on there right now for 80.00,,,but they go fast!
Old 10-20-2011, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

I sold mine last year.

When I shot practical pistol and silhouette, where muzzle velocity means making major caliber and knocking down metal targets, I was always testing lots from my progressive press to make sure I was in a good place.

For hunting loads, ml or cf, it was more of a curiousity.

When I gave up shooting competitive pistol, I used it less and less. Check the auction sites. I sold mine there, and they show up at greatly discounted prices.

Last edited by Palehorse; 10-20-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
Corey a chronograph was something I never thought I would use. Until I bought one. Now I like to use it every time I go to the bench. However I don't go to the bench very often.

I found that I did not necessarily use the actual velocity very much.

What I used the most is trying to find a consistent load(same velocity). Normally the most consistent load is going to yield the most accurate load in most rifles. So I like to keep my SD's down for accuracy.

You can get along fine without one. But I do enjoy mine. And it saves me bench time. So I can spend more time practicing with an accurate load that was easier to find with the chrono.

If you are looking for a good deal on one. The best place to get one is from the actual manufacturer themselves. Many of the mfrs. who make them will sell you a factory refurb. for a discounted price. That is where I bought mine. Tom.
I have to question this. Just because the velocity is consistent. Doesn't mean the gun likes the bullet. The most accurate load is shown on the target.

Now that we have BH 209. I don't believe any other BP/sub powder is more consistent.

So, the most accurate load would be finding the right bullet and powder amount of BH 209 powder the gun likes. A chrono isn't needed for that.

Where a chrono is helpful is figuring out fpe.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Banned

i got a chrono in a trade a couple years ago. Mostly sits in my closet but its still fun and interesting to pull it out now and then and shoot through it with new bullets/loads just to see how fast its running.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agree, Muley. A chrono is good to measure FPS so you can plug that number in to find other useful data, such as bullet drop, FPE, etc. And I want one.

And on the subject of BH209, I don't believe you can take full advantage of that consistency unless you are weighing charges. Talking about bench shooting here, not real world hunting.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Agree, Muley. A chrono is good to measure FPS so you can plug that number in to find other useful data, such as bullet drop, FPE, etc. And I want one.

And on the subject of BH209, I don't believe you can take full advantage of that consistency unless you are weighing charges. Talking about bench shooting here, not real world hunting.
I'm not a target shooter, but from what i've seen. They do weigh their loads. It seems like a very fiddly sport.

Not enough blood for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.