Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I actually bought something at Gander Mountain >

I actually bought something at Gander Mountain

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I actually bought something at Gander Mountain

Old 10-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I actually bought something at Gander Mountain

Gander Mountain has always been very expensive when I've been there in the past. Anyway, I was on a trip the other day and saw a Gander Mountain so I decided to stop by. Like usual it seemed like 90% of the stuff was overpriced, but they did have several good deals. They had Federal 30-30 ammo for $10 a box after rebate, they had Federal Champion .40S&W ammo on sale for $15 a box. You could tell this was the same stuff they sell at Walmart as it had WM in the product code, but Walmart has raised the price to $17 a box, so $15 seemed pretty good.

Regardless I didn't need any of that, so I worked my way over to the muzzle loading section. They had the 100 packs of Pyrodex pellets for $25 which surprised me since Walmart is selling them for $30 a box, and Dicks is even higher than that. I remember last year when Walmart put them on clearance, I think they were still $25 a box on clearance. Being that I was getting low from my supply I bought on sale a couple of years ago, I went ahead and picked up an extra box of these.

I also saw they had 50 packs of 295 grain Powerbelts in the upper $30 range. I'm not sure the exact amount. Now I don't shoot Powerbelts, and I don't think they are worth even that price, but it's no denying that it was the best price I've ever seen on them.

All in all it was a good trip, and I got to fondle lots of neat guns, but I was surprised to actually run into decent prices on a few things.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Federal ammo shoots good in my 30-30. I'd stock up on that if it was close to me.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree w/your assessment of Gander Mountain. Ours has some used guns but if it wasn't for that, I'd never go in there.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Dominant Buck

The only thing I really found was a good price at Gander Mountain was.. I stopped in the one near my Dad's place. And they had Winchester Magnum #11 caps for $3.99 a pack of 100. Since around me they are now up to $5.99 for 100, I purchased every one of them they had in stock. They are a good cap too.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

I bought my climber from there for a 100 bucks usually 180 or something like that. But thats the only thing i've ever bought from there.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Gander Mountain about 45 minutes from my house. Then I have a Cabela's about 75 minutes from my house. We usually go to both on the same day.

I have found the Gander in Washington, PA has some pretty good prices. actually cheaper than the Cabela's in Wheeling, WV. Our Gander seems to do a pretty good job in stocking reloading supplies, while our Cabela's seems to have empty shelves a good bit.

We have returned to Gander for purchases many times instead of buying at the Cabela's store.

Also the fishing supplies at Gander are better IMO at Washington, PA. Maybe it is each individual store?? Our Gander is great. Especially for fishing rods and reels. Tom.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have gotten an few things from gander. last trip there I talked my wife into letting me get an reloading die. they stopped selling almost all reloading supplies in store. I don't know if that changed any. it was the only place in an hour and half drive that had pyrodex p. one gun shop here carries it now.

jess likes it because the cloths are not at an bad price. third of the cloths she gets people comes from there lol
Old 10-20-2011, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

I live bout an hour from Orlando and "The Redneck Mecca" Bass Pro Shop.
They sell Goex Black powder so I stock up on it when I go
Old 10-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

they got free shipping you can't beat that 19.99 a pound of pyrodex shipped free
Old 10-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by stripercrazy
they got free shipping you can't beat that 19.99 a pound of pyrodex shipped free
Yes I can. My local gun shop. $18.25 out the door for Pyro.