Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How fast can you reload your Muzzleloader? >

How fast can you reload your Muzzleloader?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How fast can you reload your Muzzleloader?

Old 10-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

I still have a bunch of adrenaline going on when I shoot at big game, so I'm pretty slow. Gotta make sure I don't take a marginal shot.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

I made three hits on deer with a flintlock in under 2 minutes hunting. I was laying down under a deadfall, and the deer never figured out where the thunder was coming from. I drop the doe first, the buck got all kinds of ornery and stayed around, as did the doe's 6 month old.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

I've killed 2 doe's in under 45 seconds so I guess the answer would be "fast enough".
Old 10-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

I bet alot faster than it seems. It always seems like 5 minutes, while i am doing it. But, have done it fast enough to take a buck with #1, a doe with #2, and a fawn with #3.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I never saw a need to hurry. That can only be dangerous. I remember a long time ago I jumped a deer and figured she would stop long enough for me to get a shot. She never did. So I circled around and got ahead of her. Jumped her again. Followed her in the sights and touched off the flinter and missed her clean. She stopped and watched me pour in the powder, seat the PRB and just as I primed the pan she took off running again.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nimrodder
I've killed 2 doe's in under 45 seconds so I guess the answer would be "fast enough".
That is impressive Nim.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

Gotta love slip fit bullets.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've never shot two deer on a hunt. Kill one - drag it out - head for camp - skin it, and break out the Scotch.

Nor have I ever needed a second shot with a muzzle loader. However, I do reloaded as fast as I can after a shot before following-up a deer that ran after the hit.

As far as how long that takes, let's see. First, pull the powder tube out of a pocket, unscrew the cap and dump half of the powder on the ground and half down the bore. Pull out another powder tube, unscrew the cap and dump what I figure to be another half load down the bore. Pull another tube out of a pocket with a bullet, sabot and cap. Fumble the bullet into the bore. Pull the ramrod and push it home. Realize I dropped the cap while I was ramming the bullet. Pull another tube with a bullet, sabot and cap so as to get a second cap and realize I grabbed a powder load instead. Drop that on the ground and pull out another tube. Drop the bullet and sabot from that tube in a pocket and put the cap on the nipple. Pick up the powder tube I've droppen on the ground. Now all I've got to do is lower the hammer, put it on half c0ck, and I'm ready to go find that deer I just shot. All in all, something less than three minutes.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

My best guess would be about 10 minutes.

I have only had to speed reload once in my life while hunting. I was hunting about 20 feet in the air in a tree stand that myself and a few friends built from lumber. It was a very comfortable stand.

I had a big doe come in and I missed her. Don't know how I missed(ya right), but I missed. The doe acted like nothing happened. So I decided a speed relaod was necessary. I put the powder down the barrel and started the PRB with a short starter. When I pulled the ramrod from the rifle I gave it a little flip so that it would clear the rifle. The problem was not only did it clear the rifle, but it cleared the entire tree stand. I threw it out of the stand and onto the ground.

So I climbed down the stand. The doe was at about 60 yards and she did not spook. Believe it or not. So I climbed back uo the stand with the ramrod in my teeth. Pushed the ball down the bore and shot the doe. And all that took about 10 minutes.

So my speed reloading is about 10 minutes. Tom.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

With speedloaders and an inline, I've never timed it, but I'm sure that one time in the field I did it in 30 seconds or less. I made the mistake of shooting at a moving deer and hit it in the rear hams, reloaded and it was still standing about 80 yards away and dropped it with a neck shot. It seemed like it took 5 minutes, but replaying the sequence in my mind, I'm sure the reload took less than 30 seconds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.