HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   1st range session with Knight Vision (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/351102-1st-range-session-knight-vision.html)

oldsmellhound 10-07-2011 04:28 PM

1st range session with Knight Vision

Well, a couple months ago those Knight Visions on clearance became too much of a temptation to bear, and I ended up with one. This week was the first time I had a chance to take it out and shoot it. Here was my setup. As you can see, unfortunately the corn field limited my shooting to 50 yards.

I heard Knight's can be powder hogs so after boresighting it, I loaded up 110 grains T7 FFG with a .40 cal 200 XTP and a MMP blue sabot and started shooting. After 2 shots and 2 scope adjustments, this is what I shot:

Not too shabby for shots 3, 4 and 5 out of a virgin muzzy with no tweaking. So I made some more adjustments and shot several more times to get closer. I was using 200 XTP's to sight it in, because I'm planning on using the 185 Lehigh to hunt with, and I figured they would have a similar POI (I have a lot of 200 XTP's and they are cheap). So several shots later I shot this:

Load was also 110 grains T7 FFG and MMP blue sabot. Not quite as good as the 200 XTP, but still pretty darn good for a new muzzy with no tweaks or load development. I will probably end up using this load for deer hunting this year, though I would like to see what it does at 100 yards before I decide for sure.

After that, I decided to try some 250 Deep Curls with Harvestor crush rib sabots. This is what I got:

This load was with 100 grains T7. Hmmmm, not so good. I didn't have time to play around more. Might have been the sabot- the crush ribs were fairly loose, especially compared to the MMP's which took considerable force to load.

After about 20 shots there was zero, and I mean no blowback at all:

Overall, I was very impressed. The Vision is built like a tank, which I really like. Seems like you could roll a 18 wheeler over it and it would just scratch it up some. It's heavy, which I also like- it soaks up the recoil. With 110 grains T7 I would describe the recoil as mild. It does have a long LOP, but being pretty tall, it didn't bother me that much. Shouldering it offhand, it fit just fine. Shooting off the bench, the LOP was a bit long- I may do what Sabotloader did and chop off a little of the stock. But for now it is okay.

I really need to try it out at 100 yards to be sure, but I was tickled pink at how good it shot right out of the box with no alterations. I have an old CVA that right now shoots really good (1.5" at 100 yards with several loads) but it took a lot of load development and some adjustments to the rifle to get it there. Out of the box that CVA was shooting pretty poorly- it took me a couple years to get it shooting really good.

Anyone have any idea how fast that 185 Lehigh is moving with 110 grains T7? I was guessing around 2100 fps, but I don't have a chrono to confirm. Good job Knight! This is not an "entry level" muzzy in my book. (****Just a disclaimer***** I am in no way affiliated with Knight, this is my first Knight muzzy - my other 2 are CVA's- so this is just unbiased opinion, take it for what it's worth)

Also, another favor- anyone with a ballistics calculator mind figuring out how much this load might drop? My shots are usually 100 yards or less, but it never hurts to be ready....

cayugad 10-07-2011 04:41 PM

For the first time out of the box, that rifle does real well. I was on Sportsmans Guide the other day, as I saw they still had some Knight Visions in their catalog. But I did not find them on their sight. Thank goodness.

sabotloader 10-07-2011 04:57 PM

oldsmellhound

I would think but do not know for sure since it is your gun... but I would think that a Crush Rib - might be a tad small for the best accuracy...

I really think they are good shooters + NO HAMMER TO PULL BACK!!! The hammerless design with a moveable trigger hammer safety is much preferred by myself.

donjose 10-07-2011 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by cayugad (Post 3858079)
But I did not find them on their sight. Thank goodness.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=748488 :party0007:

Nimrodder 10-07-2011 05:26 PM

Dave, they dropped the price to $169.97:patriot:.

Grouse45 10-07-2011 05:42 PM

The Knight Vision is the second best brake open ML out of the box i ever used. With a little tweaking it can be very good.

Knight Vision Data,

200grn Hornady SST, 135grns by volume= 2326 avg 10 shots

200grn Hornady SST, 125grns by volume= 2143 avg 10 shots

200grn Lehigh, 125grns by volume= 2150 avg 10 shots, usually the Lehigh is a tad slower then the SST. The barrel might of been warmer when i did this testing.

Congratulations on buying a great ML. :cool2:

flounder33 10-07-2011 05:52 PM

Man, that sure is reasonably priced. Got to be the best deal going right now.

bronko22000 10-07-2011 06:12 PM

Dang Grouse....that's a lot of powder AND a lot of velocity for those 200 gr bullets!
You're exceeding 35 Remington ballistics with those loads. And I am assuming these are .40 cal bullets??!?!
That is some potent medicine coming out of that muzzle.

Grouse45 10-07-2011 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 3858118)
Dang Grouse....that's a lot of powder AND a lot of velocity for those 200 gr bullets!
You're exceeding 35 Remington ballistics with those loads. And I am assuming these are .40 cal bullets??!?!
That is some potent medicine coming out of that muzzle.

The 250grn SST is a little over 2300fps with 140grns of BH209 by volume. It handles and shoots that load really well. I will say I have no luck at all with crush rib sabots.

oldsmellhound 10-07-2011 07:09 PM

Thanks for the info. I bought the Vision at Sportman's Guide for $159, but I had a coupon that brought the price down to $120 shipping included. Kinda hard to beat that deal.

I've not had much success with the crush rib- I tried them some in my CVA Wolf and got less than stellar accuracy. Switching to MMP's tightened groups up a lot. The only Harvestor sabot I've had good results with is the Harvestor light blue .45/.40 sabot out of my .45 CVA. I get 1.5 MOA at 100 yards with either the 200 SST or 200 XTP.